Class 4 and 6 difference

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by alexkapi12, Mar 16, 2009.

Mar 16, 2009

Class 4 and 6 difference by alexkapi12 at 2:54 AM (1,993 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. alexkapi12
    OP

Newcomer alexkapi12 Advanced Member

Canada
    Is there a huge speed difference between class 4 and 6? Would class 4 microsd cards work with no problems or slowdowns?

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    usually but not always. i've read where the kingston and scandisk class4 cards have issues, and i've read where they don't. all i can say is that i own 3 transcend 8gb class6 cards and have had no issues.

-another world

3. alexkapi12
    OP

Canada
    Realhotstuff.com has a acekard 2i + 4gb kingston card combo and I was thinking of buying it. The 4gb 15$ card on the transcend website looks great, so I think I will get that.

4. Anhmeister

Newcomer Anhmeister Member

United States
    If you're going to buy a memory card grab the 8GB Transcend Class 6 on Newegg. It's only about $17 and it has free shipping. I got mine there and have had no speed problems in any games.

5. alexkapi12
    OP

Canada
    One problem, I live in Canada...

Do you know any online stores that have transcend cards and ship to Canada?

EDIT: Never mind that, found one cheap at tigerdirect.

6. Anhmeister

Newcomer Anhmeister Member

United States
    You could try amazon.com and save a few dollars. Their prices are pretty close to neweggs.

7. Another World

Colombia
  8. alexkapi12
    OP

Canada
    I remember a year ago I tried to buy a graphics card from newegg but it turned out it only ships to the us.
    Now its different, thanks for the link!

9. Another World

Colombia
    not sure of the details but the canadian site is pretty new.

-another world

10. minoplis

Newcomer minoplis Advanced Member

Brazil
    I wonder if is there any site with reliable Micro SDHC cards with good prices that could ship to brazil, the only source I know is DX, but I've heard that cards sold on DX are not genuine... [​IMG]

11. Another World

Colombia
    www.meritline.com has world wide shipping. i've bought more than a few msd cards off them.

Shipping Method:

We only use FedEx International service to deliver international orders .
    We DO NOT accept any customer's own shipping method( Federal Express, DHL/Airborne, UPS or any other company ) for any order.
    We do NOT ship international orders with United States Postal Service (USPS) ( No Exceptions )

you should ask them.

cheers,
    -another world

12. bwmat

Newcomer bwmat Member

Canada
    I got some no-name 8gb SDHC along with my ak2 from dealextreme and it works fine.

13. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    if you're after class 6 keep an eye out for a-data as well as transcend - they both seem equally good, its just a matter of what you can get cheaper in your country

14. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Another World, it's not worth for us, Brazilians, to buy from sites that do not ship with the "national postal service" (USPS, in this case), because the shipping is expensive and the taxes are even pricier.

15. jeffro

Newcomer jeffro Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Same here except that I got myself a ak2i because ak2 was out of stock at that time. its cheap. NO problems.

16. Ballistic

Member Ballistic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I currently own 3 differently branded microSDHC. 2 of which are class 6 that were purchased from newegg (USA). The other one is a SanDisk bought from DealExtreme which appears to be a Class 2. The ones from NewEgg are Transcend and A-data. Using the CF DS homebrew (provided by CycloDS's wiki), I was able to test the random access times of these three MicroSDHCs. Random access times are said to be the reason why games like Castlevania and TWEWY work or not. Anyways, the result appears to be (with 16kb clusters):
    SanDisk - 1.1 ms
    Transcend - 0.98 ms
    A-data - 0.91 ms

It seems that either my SanDisk provided by DealExtreme is either fake or just damn slow (it failed to play Castlevania but not TWEWY). The A-data MicroSDHC seems to be the winner in my case. But my transcend also showed no signs of problems.

Miscellaneous: I tested each microSDHC with different carts, the EDGE and the Acekard 2i. It seems that the Acekard 2i read the MicroSD faster than the EDGE.

17. radorn

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    Hi, first post for me.

I have an ak 2.1 and a Silicon Power 8GB microSDHC, class 4. My DS is an old phatty (European, firmware V2 according to FlashMe), but this should not make any difference, should it?
    I have video lag problems in some games such as Phantasy Star Zero and Suikoden Tierkreis.
    Video severely lags behind audio to the point that, when the audio has finished, video will still play for 10+ seconds.
    This doesn't happen in the originals. Other videos in the same games don't show this problem, or it's not so severe. Specially, the introductory video in Suikoden doesn't seem to lag at all (the audio is lower quality, which may be the decisive difference in my case)
    Castlevania, a case of video lag in the past, works fine for me.

What do you think might be the problem here? the card being class 4?
    Anyone else experienced the same problems as me?

18. minoplis

Newcomer minoplis Advanced Member

Brazil
    I've found a Transcend 8gb Micro SDHC Class 6 in a brazillian auction site, I bought it for about $ 40 (converted to US Dollars), pretty much the same card you guys can get on newegg.com for 17 bucks... that's just sad [​IMG]

The card I bought was cheap compared to brazillian price standarts, since you can usually find a probably generic Sandisk 8gb class 2 card in that price range around here (things are pricey here specially because of importation and because the average buyer usually can't tell the difference between a fake and a genuine card and/or card's classes difference)

19. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    And because of the taxes ((product price + shipping) * 0.6).