Circle Pad Pro on original DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by YoshiInAVoid, Mar 15, 2014.

1. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Would it be possible to write an application for the original DS with dswifi to receive signals from the Circle Pad Pro?

2. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    i dont think so.
    IIRC the Circle Pad Pro uses the infrared port on the 3ds

3. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Nope.

The circle pad uses IR. Also, I don't see any use for it, there's not a single DS game that would be able to use it.

4. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks. Just thought it would be fun to use with homebrew.

5. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    3ds hardly uses it and i believe nintendo just ditched it.

6. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Short answer is no, long answer is yes.

Short:
    Since the Circle Pad Pro uses ir, and the ds does not have it it can not be used.

Long:
    Since the Circle Pad Pro uses ir you could reverse engineer the protocols that it uses and then create a GBA cartridge that connects to some sort of microcontroller/fpga (Arduino is to slow fyi). With this in place you could put the ir portion on the transmitter of the Circle Pad Pro. Then you would need to create some sort of library for the ds to access the information provided by the microcontroller/fpga. The good news is there is a lot of space in the memory mapped space that you could use for the GBA cart, so you could also include other stuff.

7. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    The United States of America
    Yoshi, why would you want to use the Circle Pad for homebrew?

8. mrpogo

mrpogo Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2009

Its good for monster hunter :) actually, i find it essential for monster hunter

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In my opinion, yes, you could, but the effect of such work could be less than exciting. The DS had a variety of SLOT-2 accesories including paddles or the Guitar Hero controller. If you made a separate device that would translate the input from the Circle Pad, map that input to pre-existing button inputs the DS understands and connect that device to the SLOT-2, you could technically write homebrew for this thing. It's a lot of effort though and probably wouldn't catch on.

10. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    You can't even get the XL's CPP anymore. It was only available direct from Nintendo (in America anyway, might be different in Japan) and the page now says "This item is not currently available for purchase."

Ditched, abandoned, thrown out like yesterday's trash.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can order it off Amazon, but yeah, for some reason the peripheral doesn't seem to be sold by most major retailers.

12. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    i got it from japan and the thing is collecting dust. i really wonder what the hell was nintendo thinking when they didn't enable the R button on the cpp when used with non-supporting games. i just want a firmware update which makes the R button on the cpp work as the R button on the 3ds even on non supporting games. is it too much?

13. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    My original question was about if it were possible to receive the signals from it on a DS without additional hardware, I have got my answer that this is not physically possible, now lets not go off topic.

I know that you can program a small micro controller like an ATTiny85 to run code which communicates to the DS through this library https://code.google.com/p/ds2arduino/ and put it inside a cheap slot 2 dust cover since I have done it before, but I am not interested in this for the Circle Pad Pro.

14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

I bought one (XL CPP) at a Toys-R-Us in Tokyo last summer. For $15, who knows it might be something I'm glad I snagged one day.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I find Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate virtually unplayable without a Circle Pad on the original 3DS. On the XL the touchscreen is considerably larger so it's less of an issue, but dual analog is still the preferable way to play the game. I'd imagine it's the same with Monster Hunter 4. I wish the peripheral was used by more developers, even if for a secondary control schemes only, but alas, the CPP follows the path of many other failed add-ons into the realm of obscurity, it seems.

16. Jean Karlo

Jean Karlo Hacker Aspirant!!!

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Is it really ditched? Or is it just the lack of games that would actually made use of it? I mean CPP for yoshi island? Or any of the recent platformers? Maybe ssb will make use of the ZR and ZL buttons, but I don't see any games on the near future needing it