Hacking Cioscorp 3.5 and Bricking Question

Mossat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I first softmodded my wii I followed the step by step instructions installing HBC and then all that ios stuff. Ok well now I'm upgraded to CIOScorp 3.5. I keep reading all this stuff about bricking from power outages to scratched dvd's. My question is this....... how do I know that I can recover from a brick? All I know is that at power up if I keep the reset button pushed then the preloader menu comes up and it's preloader 0.29 but it says there is an update and when I try to update it locks up. I don't have a nand backup because I don't have a big enough sd card and I forgot but there was something about boot2 and if won't work then you have to install something else. Anyways I just want to make sure that I'm safe in case my son does something because it is his wii but like all 8 year olds who knows what he's capable of? Thanks.

SherlockHolmeboy

Trophies
Website
homebrefreeware.co.cc
XP
Country
I don't know where you've read that scratched DVDs cause bricks. The worst it could possibly do is screw up the save for the game, or a bad update through a damaged DVD (though you can block this through preloader), but that's about it.

So yeah, to block updates, you can just use preloader or Startpatch to 'skip disc updates'.

As for brick protection, do you have BootMii/boot2 installed, or just preloader? If you have BootMii, you should invest in a bigger SD card and make yourself a NAND backup, it will really help you if something happens to go horribly wrong. If you only have preloader, that's fine too, but if something happens to the System Menu (or its IOS) you could be in trouble.

EDIT: Looks like you can't install BootMii/boot2. See if you can install BootMii/IOS, that should help you if you can still access HBC.

Gino_Drago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
do not try to update Preloader 0.29 by means of itself.
It is better to get Preloader 030 r4 and install it right away be means of running it from HBC.
I recommend you to disable all hacks before doing so in order to avoid them to get mess up.
and get the latest Hacks.ini for the corresponding Region you have.

This 030 Preloader will let you jump to BOOTMI/IOs or Homebrew Channel in case you have a brick in the System Menu.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Am0s said:
or if your updating an IOS or somthing and then the power goes out then you might have a brick on your hands
only when messing with the system menu IOS or system menu itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs