Homebrew cIOS fail—need help finding default cIOS

xFireclipse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey gbatemp,

I've run into a major problem. I used the d2x cIOS installer to get a ps1 emulator running on my North American (U) Wii, system version 4.3U.
All was fine and dandy until it bricked the GameCube disc function. I tried to ignorantly try out various cIOSes and it bricked my wii disc function as well.
tl;dr I need the default cIOSes

I can't seem to find, for the life of me, a list or post with default cIOSes. Could someone please help me?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. there's no "default cIOS"
2. Gamecube is not controlled by cIOS, but by MIOS.

You probably installed DIOS MIOS, or DIOS MIOS Lite, or cMIOS, which alter and change the way Gamecube mode is working.

If you installed cMIOS, it can now read gamecube burned backup discs using Gamecube Backup Launcher by Wiigator
If you installed DIOS MIOS, you need to have a FAT32 HDD connected to your Wii to be able to play retail disc games, or install the official MIOS back.
If you installed DIOS MIOS Lite, you need to have a FAT32 HDD connected to your Wii to be able to play retail disc games, or install the official MIOS back.

3. default system files:
I guess you want to know what's good or bad.

- Do not touch, install, patch anything bellow slot 200. It's the place where nintendo install its own IOS, and they are required for the wii to function correctly.

- If you installed or touched anything below 200, let us know, don't touch anything without telling us first.

- Above slot 200, it's the place where patched IOS are located (commonly called cIOS, custom IOS)
commonly used (not default, but common) cIOS are:

202 : used to allow DVD access in old homebrew (DVDX), and that's probably the one you want to play Playstation games using wiiSX. There are different IOS202 version.
- 202 by Hermes (you can select different base for this slot, base 60 is often recommended).
- 202 by Rodries (this is the latest version, and WiiSX has a special modded version which require this version).
But Official WiiSX doesn't require slot 202 at all! it works with official IOS 58.
220-224 : Hermes cIOS. Old cIOS used by Hermes uLoader program. It can also be used by modern USBLoaders, but it's not useful anymore.
240-253: usual range for currently used cIOS (d2x cIOS). Most common slots are 249 and 250.
254: Don't touch this one ! this is Bootmii program installed as IOS.

There's an easy way to determine what you currently have installed on your Wii : follow the syscheck guide linked in my signature and post the result in this thread.

Reactions: xFireclipse

xFireclipse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyab
1. there's no "default cIOS"
2. Gamecube is not controlled by cIOS, but by MIOS.

You probably installed DIOS MIOS, or DIOS MIOS Lite, or cMIOS, which alter and change the way Gamecube mode is working.

If you installed cMIOS, it can now read gamecube burned backup discs using Gamecube Backup Launcher by Wiigator
If you installed DIOS MIOS, you need to have a FAT32 HDD connected to your Wii to be able to play retail disc games, or install the official MIOS back.
If you installed DIOS MIOS Lite, you need to have a FAT32 HDD connected to your Wii to be able to play retail disc games, or install the official MIOS back.

3. default system files:
I guess you want to know what's good or bad.

- Do not touch, install, patch anything bellow slot 200. It's the place where nintendo install its own IOS, and they are required for the wii to function correctly.

- If you installed or touched anything below 200, let us know, don't touch anything without telling us first.

- Above slot 200, it's the place where patched IOS are located (commonly called cIOS, custom IOS)
commonly used (not default, but common) cIOS are:

202 : used to allow DVD access in old homebrew (DVDX), and that's probably the one you want to play Playstation games using wiiSX. There are different IOS202 version.
- 202 by Hermes (you can select different base for this slot, base 60 is often recommended).
- 202 by Rodries (this is the latest version, and WiiSX has a special modded version which require this version).
But Official WiiSX doesn't require slot 202 at all! it works with official IOS 58.
220-224 : Hermes cIOS. Old cIOS used by Hermes uLoader program. It can also be used by modern USBLoaders, but it's not useful anymore.
240-253: usual range for currently used cIOS (d2x cIOS). Most common slots are 249 and 250.
254: Don't touch this one ! this is Bootmii program installed as IOS.

There's an easy way to determine what you currently have installed on your Wii : follow the syscheck guide linked in my signature and post the result in this thread.

Cyan, thank you for clearing up a lot of ignorance I had on this subject.

Internet is down at my house currently, getting fixed tomorrow. My phone isn't transferring files correctly so I won't be able to do a syscheck until tomorrow night (I work)

Right now I can say I probably messed with 254. 3: I don't think I messed with anything below 200.

Regardless of what I have installed, I used the d2x cIOS tool to "break" the wii, is there not a way to fix it using that same tool?

In any case, thank you THANK YOU for your help! I'm in a desperate situation!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to check if you messed IOS254, go to HBC press home and select Bootmii.
it bootmii launches, your IOS254 is fine.

Of course you can reinstall d2x using d2x cIOS installer.
pick the correct version: Wii or WiiU vWii.

Extract on your SD.
Launch, and install this:

Slot249:
d2x cIOS v8 (only on Wii) or v10 (Wii or vWii)
base 56
version 21010

Slot250:
base 57
version 21010

You can see the different between v10 beta 52 and 53 here:
https://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/wiki/How_to_choose_d2x_distribution

xFireclipse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to check if you messed IOS254, go to HBC press home and select Bootmii.
it bootmii launches, your IOS254 is fine.

Of course you can reinstall d2x using d2x cIOS installer.
pick the correct version: Wii or WiiU vWii.

Extract on your SD.
Launch, and install this:

Slot249:
base 56
version 21010

Slot250:
base 57
version 21010

You can see the different between v10 beta 52 and 53 here:
https://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/wiki/How_to_choose_d2x_distribution

Cyan,

MY WII IS FIXED! Now not only does it run Wii games again, my GameCube function is back as well! I installed the cIOSes you listed for me and the issue is resolved!
Thank you so much for your help! If there's a donation box for gbatemp, please tell me so I can properly thank both the site and you. Once more, thank you so much!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.
We don't have donation box, having a new happy member is really enough :)
just stay around and participate with the community, and even better help someone else in return if you know how ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock