Hacking cios confusion

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that the hermes and waninkoko cios can be installed under different bases. Further more, they can be installed via a wad, or an installer. I'm having trouble understanding why this is, and weighing the pros and cons. Could someone please explain this to me?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
different IOS bases allow you to have different functionality for example a base of 58 would have oficial Nintendo USB 2.0 support in it. You install them based on your needs. I personally have forgoten the setup I have but Modmii is by far the easiest solution for those that aren't sure what they need or want.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There are many IOSs on your system, and they all have their own specializations. A cIOS is based on 1 or more IOS (the base IOS), so it inherits its functionality.

You can have different cIOSs in different slots based on different IOSs to have everything covered.

As for WAD vs Installer, the installer will merge the IOS WAD with the cIOS modifications on the wii, whereas a prepacked WAD (from ModMii) has already done this for you and you simply need to install it with WAD manager.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tj_cool said:
As for WAD vs Installer, the installer will merge the IOS WAD with the cIOS modifications on the wii, whereas a prepacked WAD (from ModMii) has already done this for you and you simply need to install it with WAD manager.
Or you can use Nintendo's unpatched IOS WAD with a cIOS Installer to do an offline installation without using WAD manager.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drakorex said:
I've noticed that the hermes and waninkoko cios can be installed under different bases.Recommended cIOS files and bases:
  • IOS202[57] (v5.1 of Hermes' cIOS) = USB2.0 for MPlayer CE, WiiMC, etc. Note: These example applications use IOS58 now instead of IOS202. IOS57 is the chosen base because it has the fastest USB loading times of the four available to Hermes' IOS installer. (Lacius' note: Because WiiMC uses IOS58 now, I consider this IOS to be useless unless I'm troubleshooting something).
  • IOS222[38] (v5.1 of Hermes' cIOS) = Stable IOS that can play many games. IOS38 doesn't have as fast of loading times as IOS56 or IOS57. Waninkoko's old cIOS revisions only used IOS38 as a base. IOS38 used to be the only base that could install WAD files effectively. (Lacius' note: Because IOS249 has compatibility with 99% of games, I consider this IOS to be useless unless I'm troubleshooting something).
  • IOS223[37+38] (v4.0 of Hermes' cIOS) = For use with music games with USB devices like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc. This unique combination is the only thing that allows USB instruments to work with some music games, other than using IOS56 as a base. (Lacius' note: Because 249dx56 apparently works with music games, I consider this IOS to be useless unless I'm troubleshooting something).
  • IOS224[57] (v5.1 of Hermes' cIOS) = Fast USB loading. Good for games that only like IOS57 as a base (ex. Black Ops). (Lacius' note: I've read that there are advantages to using IOS224 with Black Ops rather than 250dx57. Other than that, I consider this IOS to be useless unless I'm troubleshooting something).
  • IOS249[56] (rev21 d2x v2 of Waninkoko's cIOS) = Recommend cIOS for 99% of games. Improves speed for USB loading and apparently works with music games with USB devices. Very few games do not work with this cIOS. The only games that don't like 249dx56 are usually ones that require IOS57 as a base. (Lacius' note: This is pretty much the only cIOS I use).
  • IOS250[57] (rev21 d2x v2 of Waninkoko's cIOS) = Fast USB loading. Good for games that don't like 249dx56 (ex. Black Ops). (Lacius' note: I only use this IOS if I'm playing something that requires IOS57. Last I checked, there were only four games that required IOS57 over IOS56).
QUOTE(drakorex @ Mar 1 2011, 05:20 AM) Further more, they can be installed via a wad, or an installer. I'm having trouble understanding why this is, and weighing the pros and cons. Could someone please explain this to me?
There are no real differences between using an installer and installing a WAD file. Because WAD files can be created on one's computer using ModMii, everything is ready to go by the time one gets to the WAD Manager, and everything installs very quickly. When one uses an installer, the configuration of the cIOS files happens there and takes longer. Because rev21 d2x v2 requires ModMii to install, WAD installation is one's only option for that.

If anyone notices something I said that is incorrect, please let me know.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, that really helps me out, I think. The reason I ask is because I can't get wiimc and mplayer to function properly. When I started modding my wii, they worked fine, but now they freeze up. Using older revs of the cios seems to make them slightly more compatible, but they still don't work perfectly. Are there recently updates that take advantage of the latest cios, or am I stuck with a wii that no longer plays dvds?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
-make sure u have IOS58 installed.
-if launching apps with the "no_ios_reload" argument in its meta.xml (which the newer versions of the apps in question do) they are subject to random freezes IF launched from the HBC and you do not have an internet connection set up on the Wii (due to a network init. bug in the HBC)
-if launching apps with the "no_ios_reload" argument in its meta.xml from an OLD forwarder channel, it will NOT have direct hardware access (ie. DVD support). Instead you want to use a newer forwarder channel with ahbprot enabled (for direct hardware access, ie. dvd support). You can download such a channel from my Top Channels thread. Alternatively, u can use the official channel installer for WiiMC (or w/e app), but note that forwarder channel installers are subject to the same network init. bug I described above, so using official channel installers may result in a harmless freezes.

But basically, just install a proper forwarder channel with direct hardware access and make sure u have IOS58 installed, then only use the forwarder channel (not the HBC) to launch the app (at least until a new HBC is released that addresses the network init. bug) then u'll be golden.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so do I need the latest versions of the cios listed above, or do I need older revs of certain ones? Which ones work the best?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
wiimc, vbagx, fceugx, snes9xgx (and probably more) have all stopped using cIOS202 and instead require direct hardware access and IOS58.

You have 2 options, I recommend the first:
1) install IOS58 if u don't have it already, install a forwarder channel with direct hardware access (or if launching from the HBC make sure u have a working internet set up otherwise u may experience random freezes)
2) read the changelog of w/e app u want to use to determine what the last rev was that used cIOS202, then make sure u r using that revision in conjuction with installing cIOS202 v5 or v5.1 with base 57. Note that the app will prompt u to update, u will need to constantly say "no".

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
wiimc, vbagx, fceugx, snes9xgx (and probably more) have all stopped using cIOS202 and instead require direct hardware access and IOS58.

You have 2 options, I recommend the first:
1) install IOS58 if u don't have it already, install a forwarder channel with direct hardware access (or if launching from the HBC make sure u have a working internet set up otherwise u may experience random freezes)
2) read the changelog of w/e app u want to use to determine what the last rev was that used cIOS202, then make sure u r using that revision in conjuction with installing cIOS202 v5 or v5.1 with base 57. Note that the app will prompt u to update, u will need to constantly say "no".

Ok, thanks, I think I got it. One thing though, modmii appears to have only 5, not 5.1. Or am I mistaken?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That is correct, but there is practically no difference between v5 and v5.1. The main difference was renaming some things in the cIOS (like "dev") in order to get past the anti-piracy protection in the new prince of persia game, but usb-loaders have been updated to work using v5 anyways, so v5 and v5.1 are essentially the same for all intents and purposes.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I click the links for the channels, it takes me to linkbucks and shows some crap about justin beiber and paris hilton. What am I doing wrong?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drakorex said:
Whenever I click the links for the channels, it takes me to linkbucks and shows some crap about justin beiber and paris hilton. What am I doing wrong?
You might need to temporarily turn off any unofficial ad-blocking software in order to view the page correctly.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Wiimc is working beautifully now
biggrin.gif
mplayer, not so much... I can't really think of why I need Mplayer anyway (wait, can Wiimc skip chapters?)

jesquinas

Trophies
XP
Country
Lacius said:
drakorex said:
Does the wiimc forwarder come in channel form, not installer? Or even a forwarder, I could just make a full channel out of it. How about it, guys?
I'm not sure what you're asking. To have a forwarder channel for WiiMC, you just have to download and install WiiMC Channel Installer 1.8.
He is asking for a .wad file for installing the forwarder channel via Wad Manager for example,isn it?
The response is NO,there isnt such .wad but you can make it.

Greetings.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
In my top channels thread u can find a WiiMC forwarder in wad form, but here's a link to the newer v9 of that same forwarder that I mader recently, I just haven't bothered to update my top channels thread yet

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpttqfv5jdhe2t5

also, this channel is categorii friendly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal