CIA/3DS size

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dotmore, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Dotmore
    OP

Dotmore GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Im thinking of swapping to CIA files, but had a question. Im currently trying things out, but my NSMB2.3ds is about 500MB, while the CIA is ~300MB. What gives? Is the CIA fake?

2. andzalot55

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    I can promise you it is not a fake .cia file.

3. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    .3ds roms come with extra padding at the end. .cias don't need the extra padding so they just cut it out. Kinda like trimming a rom, pretty much.

djalmafreestyler likes this.
  4. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil
    CIAs are smaller than .3DS but they need the double space they have in your SD and take time to install depending of the size.

5. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    .cias are much like .exe or .msi setup installation files on windows or .apk on android. Example the Facebook app setup file on Android is 34mb the installed app is 100mb+(don't remember correctly)

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Possibly unless you were using FBI's install from network feature.
    (If that feature even works as I think it does, heh.)

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    They don't need double space.
    You need enough free space to install the CIA, you later have to delete it.
    The CIA is just an installer.

E.g. you can have 30gb worth of games on a 32gb card, just delete the installers you already used before you install further applications.

squee666 and NoNAND like this.
  8. NoNAND

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    Yes. It's best to use FBI when installing games because you can delete the installer. Devmenu is recommended only when installing system things like mset downgrade and bluecardfix.cia..if I'm right @sarkwalvein

9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I prefer to use DevMenu/BBM over FBI because it seems FBI has problems with installing some .cias properly
    For example, I could -not- get my custom theme .cia to install properly via FBI, but it worked just fine through BBM. Later on uninstalled BBM for actual DevMenu because it looks cooler :P
    Being able to delete the .cia from within the .cia manager is a good thing though. Could just take out the SD card and delete them on your computer, or keep FBI alongside DevMenu/BBM just for deleting the .cias x)

peteruk and NoNAND like this.
  10. NoNAND

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    Yeah. I prefer the old devmenu that displays devmen
    I don't use BBM

11. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil
    Need double space I mean, if you have a 4gb SD and you can't install DKCR which have 3.3 gb, you'll need at least 6.60gb to install, the space for the .cia and the space to the title will be installed on Nintendo 3DS folder.

Ammako likes this.
  12. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Im curious about over 4 gb cia files (formerly Xenoblade Chronicles) as the 3ds only gets fat32. We can safely use exfat or theres issues with it ?

13. honyo29

honyo29 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2014
    Indonesia
    i'm not alone.

i recommend devmenu (or bbm/title manager, but yea devmenu looks cooler) for everyday use because it's foolproof. there are many cases of installing gba vc using fbi resulting black icons because instead of install them to sd on sysnand, some people install it to nands... i only use fbi when i change emunand region to delete system titles.

14. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Xenoblade Chronicles wouldn't be an over 4GB .cia because the game's data isn't that big.
    The rom is 4GB but that's because they had to use a 4GB chip, it's filled with padding at the end. Converting to .cia removes the padding at the end and it becomes smaller.

Urbanshadow likes this.
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    You can't use exfat.
    I don't have a clue what happens with CIAs over 4gb, never met one.

16. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Oh ok. Still curious of what should happen before we could successfully play a cia file that big thought.

17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    The only way that would happen is if 3DS games were made that were so large they wouldn't fit on 4GB cartridges and would need 8GB ones.
    Then converted to .cia, would probably be bigger than 4GB. In this case, I would assume FBI install .cia over network could be an option, but we wouldn't be able to copy the cia over to our SD card to install it directly like that.