RBYG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Some details about the upcoming Google Chrome OS based netbooks has leaked and the specification look delicious indeed.

The Chrome OS devices will be powered by an NVIDIA Tegra chipset with an ARM processor which uses less power and gives better performance than current Intel Atom chipsets. The Tegra chipset is also what powers Microsoft's Zune HD.

Chrome OS, which was announced back in July had been the center of some rather wild speculation until finally Google unveiled the OS and made the bitter sweet announcement that Chrome OS would not be released by Google as an installable operating system for current netbooks but would be a device in itself. The Chrome OS netbooks were meant to be used a companion devices, not intended to replace current computers but to be seen as more of a browser-on-the-go.

By having a completely new hardware platform to run the OS, Google was able to cut down booting time to a mere 7 seconds, with even more scope for improvement, making the device switch on like a TV. To achieve this Google will use a custom boot sequence which will skip steps which are no longer required -- such as searching for a flopy drive -- and will add an integrity checking step to ensure that the OS in not infected by malware. With this the OS can always be kept malware free and at the latest version. The operating system would run off an SSD drive instead of a regular HDD.

Since then speculation has run wild again as to what kind of machine would power this device, and now some of that is put to rest. Besides the Tegra chipset the system will have a 64GB SSD drive -- as expected -- and 2GB RAM. Since the device is meant to surf the internet it will feature WiFi, and 3G connectivity, and an Ethernet port. The rest of the usual fare such as a multi-card reader, bluetooth, USB ports, webcam, and a 3.5" audio jack will also be present. Additionally the device will feature a 10.1" HD ready TFT display with multi-touch capability.

And if that wasn't good enough, rumors are that the device will subsidized and priced at sub-$300 (under Rs. 15,000)! In the US they might even be bundled with 3G data plans with wireless carriers.

The remarkably low price coupled with the powerful configuration makes for a great bargain. So even while the specification are still far form being facts, they do paint a pretty picture of a Chrome OS device.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zuron7 said:
and a 3.5" audio jack will also be present.

it's 3.5 mm
wink.gif
3.5 inches would be a bit too big
biggrin.gif

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There was a whole article on the OS a few issues back (its weekly) in UK magazine Micro Mart where they got to use a version of it. It didnt look that impressive at that point. It was very lightweight though and fast but was lacking in the content departmen... its just a matter of time though and more choices are good to have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build me a better Mafia... Will only take a couple of min and will cost you nothing...
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199676

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Switzerland sucks for 3G prices, etc so I could never get one of these
frown.gif
and it's probably going to be damn good.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ChuckBartowski said:
Thoob said:
Chrome OS is already available if you know where to look for it.
wink.gif
I think I'll stick to Windows for the moment, though.
Really? Leaked before a release date even. Thats interesting.
Not exactly leaked. The source is just available. If you know how to build it, you can use it, though I believe it was meant for developers.

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
nIxx said:
(Anyone really wants to save your files on a Google Server !?)

Anyone who uses google docs and/or gmail already do this. And their spider goes through it too (I assume it says this is their service agreement, but who reads those things)

D

Deleted_171835

Awesome! Sub -$300. I can afford it. I'll probably get it to statisfy the curious part of me.

A Nvidia Tegra is a good choice. I won't expect the device to be "super"-powerful, though. Now all we need is some pictures of the hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon