Chrome labeling Google sites as "not secure"

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by the_randomizer, Oct 18, 2016.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't know how long this has been going on for, and I can't seem to find anything definitive or even reassuring, but seems to be a common issue with many users. Starting a while ago (before I updated to the latest version), Chrome has been labeling Gmail, Google Search, YouTube, Google+, all things Google as not secure, showing a red line through HTTPS. This not only has me worried, but is disconcerting as I've made no changes to anything software related at all to the browser. I fear that either I have a browser-related malware installed, because Firefox doesn't even show these sites as a problem, but Chrome does. How do I resolve this? My parent's PC, using Chrome, doesn't have this issue either; this is kinda freaking me out :unsure:

2. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    interesting...
    could you post more details?

here's how to get details (do this on sites for which you have issues, of course)
    upload_2016-10-18_13-0-22.png

with the details we can probably find out what's causing the problem

3. sdtg34520

sdtg34520 GURU MEDITATION ERROR

Banned
    Mar 26, 2016
    New Zealand
    -deleted-

Last edited by sdtg34520, Jan 26, 2017
  4. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's the first thing I checked, they're set to October 17th, 11:04 PM, the time where I live right now. I haven't messed with the clock settings at all; checked for viruses and malware, no results. Google.com is fine, Facebook, Wells Fargo, only sites that aren't are Gmail and YouTube. So clearly, something is jacked up.

It's telling me my connection here isn't private, and is giving me a yellow color. *sigh* This is starting to genuinely freak me out, I fear something may be absolutely horribly wrong on my end :( Firefox is the same, not secure, but not red.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 18, 2016
  5. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    I used to have this problem, but I fixed it idk how. It was either something to do with proxy/vpn or incognito mode. :sleep:

6. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't use any of those, including Incognito mode, I have made no changes, aside from updating to the latest Chrome version, keep in mind this has been happening for a few hours now, didn't do this earlier today. I did a scan for viruses like I said, and malware, nothing showed up. I don't know if I should be relieved or freaking out over this, how do I know that this issue won't spread over to other secure sites? Firefox seems to be fine though, so IDK.

7. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Are you running any code extensions on Chrome? btw this problem is nothing to worry about. i know it says fake website warning, but it isnt

8. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not that I know of? How would I be able to tell if I had any weird code extensions running? I know in 2017 apparently sites with red HTTPS in the URL will display a warning or some crap like that. Maybe I should move to Firefox, IDK for sure yet. So really, this is nothing to be concerned about? But maybe it's something Google goofed up on? What's weird is that only two sites are affected, nothing else is.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 18, 2016
  9. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Sorry cant help you. Best bet is either to uninstall and reinstall or delete local cache (save data for chrome). if nothing works switch to firefox.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

also its nothing to worry about. this is user side not server side.

10. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I know it happened today, yesterday was fine, it's baffling and some users say it goes away, why it effects only two Google-related sites I don't know, I suppose I can do a full virus scan (which takes forever), and see what's going on. *Sigh* So aggravating ><

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I doubt it's malware. Even if it were and a scan isn't finding anything, then you need to check locally installed certificates for anything weird. You can also check for weird startup entries. Honestly though, I think Google just screwed something up. Do what somebody already said and completely wipe your cache.

12. Erion

Erion Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    Slovenia
    Middle Earth
    hey did you solve it ?
    i had this error but it was due to my antivirus Kaspersky Internet Security