Christmas Assignments

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by The Teej, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008

Christmas Assignments by The Teej at 11:20 PM (852 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    I thought this would make a somewhat interesting topics [​IMG]

As all of us in Education/Work know, there's always an added joyous occasion called "Assignment Deadlines" around this time of the year. So, what are you guys doing right now at work/school? Anything you're interested in? Anything you find unbearably boring?

Right now, I'm working on two projects (yes, only two!). I'm working on my Contextual Review for my Final Year Dissertation of my BSc Computer Games Development Degree. You don't really realise the sheer importance of the project until you write up your front page and it's like "Woah... this write up will have my name on it forever, this dissertation will be a big moment in my life", and it's a scary and exciting thought all at the same time. A lot of your prospective emloyers, quite possibly for the rest of your life, will look at this and judge you on it. Quite possibly in years to come, people will look at this and actually use it for their own research project.

Anyway, the actual project is the creation of a level editor. The contextual review is basically a 20 (give or take a few) page report that details the general idea of the project, examples of other work in your field, how you're going to learn from your research and how your work will take into account what others have done, and then a plan of action (aka a gantt chart) from the time you start making the actual artefact to the time you wrap up the dissertation itself.

There's also the other project which is making a "game" using OGRE, where you control an animated model around a virtual world. There's the pre-requisits such as making the model and controlling it in game but in order to do really well you pretty much have to come up with your own inventive ideas. If you're into programming, do something inventive with your coding, make platforming elements, add in a complex camera, you could even go as far as to make a gun and make it shoot (although I doubt many people will do this, we're too swamped getting the minimum requirements done for this and doing the contextual review!). The sky is the limit, really. I'm hoping to add in some platforming elements, like jumping and running, and possibly even add in a classic feature like jumping on stuff to kill it [​IMG]

So, what are you working on?

2. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    loads but my contract means I can divulge any of it =p

3. damole

Member damole GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, only big assignment for me is actually a poetry analysis (essay). I havn't started yet and it is due next Monday. It's worth 10% of my final, but I'm too lazy to start it. I'll just cram it on the weekend, and hope I pass. XD

4. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    For my ICT course, I have to do 2 things:

1) Make my third prototype for my client's website (just a coursework, I won't get paid.)
    2) Revise for my exam re-sit next month (spreadsheets - I got a U for it)

My holiday starts next week Wednesday and I'm doing my best to finish as much as I can as holidays are better spent without worrying about things that are unfinished. Why does "procrastination" have to exist...

5. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    1. Giant painting of my family picture when we were much younger. This is a present for my parents. I'm probably gonna paint it on a 4 by 6 ft. I hope this surprises them.

2. Other paintings. Own interest. I want to put more paintings up my wall. I still owe my friend portraits too lol.

3. Christmas shopping.. got a load to get for my friends.

4. Make money online. I still need to start on it.. I have a plan. I'm collaborating with my friend.

5. Renew my CPR an First Aid certificate. I need it to apply for summer jobs. I want to be a counselor again.. good for experience since I want to get into teacher's college.

6. Learn how to play Acoustic Guitar.

7. Enjoy my up coming break. I'm almost done school. Got 1 more exam left and 1 project. [​IMG]

6. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have to write a report about mythology [​IMG]. I hope I don't get more work [​IMG]

7. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    You should totally write it on God of War's franchise and how mythology can be twisted and still be called mythology [​IMG] Your teacher will probably be so impressed you did enough research to know enough about both to compare and contrast them you'll get an A, easy.

Ah man, I miss high school, it was well easy then [​IMG]

8. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    learn how to make codes by end of holidays, lol

9. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    Im currently working on putting antlers to my car. (Temporary while! [​IMG]) .

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Currently doing a forensic engineering postgrad course at the open university. I had an "interim report" due on the 5th of December to write for a hypothetical incident, was given a handful of bad photos and a few statements that were of little merit and told to get on with it.
    Not nice but then again I would not expect it to be simple.

I think I have another due in at some point in January but from what I recall this one will be nicer (mainly as I have done the stuff before).

On the other hand I have the rom hacking docs to finish (presently around 60000 words with about 1000 more to do) and a sister essay on console hacking (theory behind it all and discussion of some examples, going to be considerably shorter than the hacking docs though- 20000 at most).

@R2DJ why do people insist on calling it ICT?

@The Teej I would never say it is not worth doing well but "for the rest of life" is a bit steep, 10 years from now when potentially point to something you made a final year project will likely just be icing on the cake.
    Also consider making some examples and see about helping out on some open source games just to bolster your portfolio, once they have appeared computers are more or less free and not having anything to show will get a "we'll call you" faster than [insert funny simile].