Chocolate Doom For PS Vita - Is there any way to scroll the map?

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love this game. However, it lacks one serious capability - you cannot "scroll" the map, which of course, makes the map USELESS.

Put it this way. the original version of Doom for the PS1, that capability was there. Anyway, I can't seem to get it to scroll. If the game does NOT have this functionality, that's fine. But if I am wrong about this (and I'm hoping I am), I'd appreciate it a heads-up.

THANK YOU!!!

CACODEMON.gif

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
man dizzy, on the PSX copy you dont scroll, you walk on the map. haha

there are so many ports I was not find time to check out fully the choco doom port, but in first look it was all great so far. Hexen works with music ! yeah

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man dizzy, on the PSX copy you dont scroll, you walk on the map. haha

there are so many ports I was not find time to check out fully the choco doom port, but in first look it was all great so far. Hexen works with music ! yeah

Hi Peter, thanks for chiming in. Indeed, on the PSX version of Doom, you can scroll the map. That is to say, you can pan all around the map without moving. I own the PSX version of Doom, I've had it for roughly 29 years. Please see the following 3 images for clarification...

Image #1: My copy of Doom for the PSX:

D1.jpg

Image #2: The Instruction Manual:

D2.jpg

Image #3: Page 12 of the manual where it CLEARLY STATES (in the last sentence) THAT YOU CAN SCROLL THE MAP WITHOUT MOVING YOURSELF:

D3.jpg

So then, there you have it. This is what I was refering to, not sure if you meant playing PSX Doom on the Vita, which I did for about 3 minutes, and went right back to Chocolate Doom.
Looking forward to your reply!
banana.gif

Reactions: Tarmfot and peter8

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only one thing for you, I have the world record for PSX Doom speedrun on ultra violence europe PAL version. :)
Truly was never using the map option, haha. I know this game in and out, speedrun it over 25 years long back from the 90.
Yep I also have the first printed PAL copy in best condition with manual original :)

Truly I love the PSX Music for Doom, its amazing.

archive.org-xxxxxx delete

This are done on original PS2 PAL system 25FPS only with original Disc, no emulation shit !

NTSC speedruns are faster than mine, but more sloppy and missing tons of glitches. so dont compare it with speedrun.com.

Otherwise, the PSX copy has differences compare to the PC copy, its not the same.

Last edited by peter8,
Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one thing for you, I have the world record for PSX Doom speedrun on ultra violence europe PAL version. :)
Truly was never using the map option, haha. I know this game in and out, speedrun it over 25 years long back from the 90.
Yep I also have the first printed PAL copy in best condition with manual original :)

Truly I love the PSX Music for Doom, its amazing.

Doom PSX PAL - UV difficulty 49min40sec (password segments) 2017
Doom II PSX PAL - UV difficulty 40min16sec (password segments) 2017
Final Doom PSX PAL - UV difficulty 48min33sec (password segments) 2015
Quake II PSX PAL - Hard difficulty (26 segments) 2014

This are done on original PS2 PAL system 25FPS only with original Disc, no emulation shit !

NTSC speedruns are faster than mine, but more sloppy and missing tons of glitches. so dont compare it with speedrun.com.

Otherwise, the PSX copy has differences compare to the PC copy, its not the same.

Very cool!!! Yeah, I started out with Doom on the Sega 32X. Ater I bought my PlayStation (which I still own to this day), the game came out in like 2 months. When I first started playing it, I used the map quite often because there are like 50 levels in PSX Doom, and scrolling the map was a very handy feature. After a while I stopped using it because I was familiar with all the maps. However, I was just asking if in Chocolate Doom is the map scrollable, so that's that. Doom is one of those games people keeping coming back to, no matter how many times they've played it before. So check out Chocolate Doom, there's like 5 iterations of it, and they're close to if not to exact same thing on the PC. And yes, they all support custom music with that plugin (can't remember what it's called.

I have, and have owned for AGES the PSX Doom sountrack. If you'd like a copy I can upload it to mediafire, great stuff!!!

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah will check out choco doom the next days, currently I play in first time and blind final fantasy 13 on ps3, I am on the final boss near the end.
after that I will go back to VITA. rinne has also new Vita Ports like RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic. :)

truly I was playing million times PSX Doom and Doom N64 gets dusty in my corner its just boring.
this 50 maps on PSX Doom its just a split of Doom 1 and Doom 2. the most fans dont know that PSX Doom has 1 and 2. But there are missing some maps from the PC version and some maps are alternate has different layout.

I have highly interest in Hexen 1 with Choco Doom, since the PSX version of Hexen is terrible, its slow and many glitches dont work. And Final Doom on the PSX is missing over 30 maps compare to the PC copy.

have tons of more speedruns for PSX and PS2, like Soldier of Fortune and RTCW, Duke Nukem, Manhunt, Mortal Kombat, but many of them are on different filehoster. I was member of speeddemosarchive back in 2006 or so...

I had play the Doom 32x BETA copy on the VITA with EMU4VITA :) Its great working !
man Sega Saturn Doom on the VITA would be the greatest highlight, its also use the same music score.
there was also released the wolfenstein 3D Alpha build somewhere, I will also try this out with VitaWolfen.

I will also try out in Choco Doom the Alpha Beta prototype from Doom and Hexen. Hopefully it works. ?

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah will check out choco doom the next days, currently I play in first time and blind final fantasy 13 on ps3, I am on the final boss near the end.
after that I will go back to VITA. rinne has also new Vita Ports like RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic. :)

truly I was playing million times PSX Doom and Doom N64 gets dusty in my corner its just boring.
this 50 maps on PSX Doom its just a split of Doom 1 and Doom 2. the most fans dont know that PSX Doom has 1 and 2. But there are missing some maps from the PC version and some maps are alternate has different layout.

I have highly interest in Hexen 1 with Choco Doom, since the PSX version of Hexen is terrible, its slow and many glitches dont work. And Final Doom on the PSX is missing over 30 maps compare to the PC copy.

have tons of more speedruns for PSX and PS2, like Soldier of Fortune and RTCW, Duke Nukem, Manhunt, Mortal Kombat, but many of them are on different filehoster. I was member of speeddemosarchive back in 2006 or so...

I had play the Doom 32x BETA copy on the VITA with EMU4VITA :) Its great working !
man Sega Saturn Doom on the VITA would be the greatest highlight, its also use the same music score.
there was also released the wolfenstein 3D Alpha build somewhere, I will also try this out with VitaWolfen.

I will also try out in Choco Doom the Alpha Beta prototype from Doom and Hexen. Hopefully it works. ?

This is what comes with Chocolate Doom:

2024-03-02-195538.png

...and I am happy to report I've never run into any bugs or glitches. Plays totally solid. And to my knowledge, none of the Doom games are alpha or beta, they seem totally finished & complete.

And one thing Pete, if you're not getting the same time for each of the PSX Doom Soundtrack, then you're listening to the wrong Doom score... See below!!!

DOOM-TRACK-TIMES.jpg

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know the list of choco Doom :) I have it already installed, but was never finding time to test it, because every time there comes a new Port. :)

of course the Beta and Alpha copy is not finished, thats why I have interest ;) it has alternate stuff, rooms or what ever.
let me finish FF13 and than I will check out Choco Doom. It burns in my fingers for Final Doom.

is under Misc a option for Map ? or button config ?

Something that no ones know, the last music track on Doom 1 PSX is a hardcore techno track, it was ''stolen'' from ID&T Thunderdome, the name was DJ Skinhead Extreme Terror (white nation). I am big fan from thunderdome, so thats why I know it. It was never reported from someone and is not printed in the Manual. I was never understand, why using a Rave track from the Netherlands in a US game, there dont like Rave music. Even Wiki dont know it.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fix for Scroll Map PC Doom on Vita System :
Scroll the Map with PC Doom Version works with RetroArch stable 1.17.0 vita 03.02.2024.
It has the PrDoom Core and use the same Controller layout like the PSX version. You can easy scroll the Map without holding any extra buttons.

Extra :
Wolfenstein 3D PC Beta Apr 1992 = Working with RetroArch stable 1.17.0 over DosBox core, YEAHHHHHH
Doom 0.2 Pre-ALPHA = NOT Working with PrDoom Core RetroArch stable 1.17.0
Doom 0.2 Pre-ALPHA = WORKING over DosBox Core RetroArch stable 1.17.0, framerate 99% ! no sound no music
Doom 0.5 BETA = NOT Working with PrDoom Core RetroArch stable 1.17.0
Doom 0.5 BETA = WORKING over DosBox Core RetroArch stable 1.17.0, framerate 45% ! no sound no music

Chocolate Doom Map Scroll = NOT Working, only with explore walking in same time.
Chocolate Doom gives Texture Error for using Doom 0.2 Pre-ALPHA and Doom 0.5 BETA, NOT working, so only RetroArch can handle it.

NOTE : RetroArch is not perfect and has many errors, you have to deal with many problems there...

Last edited by peter8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch