Gaming Chkdisk deleted my files!

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
I need a license to recover the minecraft files. Goddamit. And now when I login, it doesn't let me use my proper user account. It makes a temp one for me. The internet isn't working entirely right on it anymore either. Please help.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Virus scan?
Safe mode?
PC specs?

Try the above 2 and tell us your PC specs.

edit: Is it completely wiped off the HDD?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "Everything"? Like, the entire drive was erased? Or just certain folders? Are you sure it was chkdsk running and not something else? Chkdsk checks the HDD for errors and, if told, will attempt to fix them. This can cause a loss of data but it will always ask you if you wish to continue. Either you let it delete your files, or you weren't running chkdsk.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
What do you mean by "Everything"? Like, the entire drive was erased? Or just certain folders? Are you sure it was chkdsk running and not something else? Chkdsk checks the HDD for errors and, if told, will attempt to fix them. This can cause a loss of data but it will always ask you if you wish to continue. Either you let it delete your files, or you weren't running chkdsk.
Most folders. It ran the chkdisk on boot, like it has before. It said stuff about "Deleting orphan files". Me, being an idiot, let it continue, and most of my files are gone, and I cannot login to my proper user account. There was no option to allow It to, or to stop it. Unless plugging out the power cord counts as an option. It came up on boot, I've done it before, never had problems, hell I did it the other night when I first got the comp.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
April fools, your files will be back on April 2nd.

Try http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ to recover files in a linux environment and to test your hardware.

Reactions: 2 people

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Virus scan?
Safe mode?
PC specs?

Try the above 2 and tell us your PC specs.

edit: Is it completely wiped off the HDD?
Did a scan, nothing. I'll try safe mode.
And the specs are;
Gainward NVidia GeForce 560 ti 1gb VRAM
2x 2gb Corsair RAM
Intel i3
Asus p8z68 pro lx motherboard
Western Digital 232gb Hard drive.

April fools, your files will be back on April 2nd.
I have to say, that made me laugh XD

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Orphan files are just files left over from uninstalled programs that aren't used anymore. Deleting them wouldn't erase entire folders. You either have a virus or there's a major bug in chkdsk. I think it's the former.

EDIT: Hell, you could just have a bad HDD and chkdsk attempted to fix it, causing data loss.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Orphan files are just files left over from uninstalled programs that aren't used anymore. Deleting them wouldn't erase entire folders. You either have a virus or there's a major bug in chkdsk. I think it's the former.

EDIT: Hell, you could just have a bad HDD and chkdsk attempted to fix it, causing data loss.
It is a new computer, 2 days old, only websites I used were Microsofts, nvidias, asus', minecrafts, and gbatemp. I doubt it's a virus. And I googled it earlier, apparently many people have had this problem.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If you're 100% sure no viruses came from anywhere, then your PC came with a bad HDD. Contact whomever you bought the PC from and see if they'll send you a new one. I highly doubt chkdsk just went and deleted your files.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
If you're 100% sure no viruses came from anywhere, then your PC came with a bad HDD. Contact whomever you bought the PC from and see if they'll send you a new one. I highly doubt chkdsk just went and deleted your files.
I've had this HDD well over a year, and it was working fine yesterday, my cousin has the same specs, mostly except for 6gb of RAM instead of 4 and it boots fine, runs fine, (except for the profile thing and missing files) and I was playing tf2 on it. I also tried my other HDD in the new computer, and it boots fine.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've had this HDD well over a year, and it was working fine yesterday, my cousin has the same specs, mostly except for 6gb of RAM instead of 4 and it boots fine, runs fine, (except for the profile thing and missing files) and I was playing tf2 on it. I also tried my other HDD in the new computer, and it boots fine.
...So then the HDD is bad.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
How did you come to that conclusion? I just said it booted fine in another computer.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
How did you come to that conclusion? I just said it booted fine in another computer.
Just because a HDD is bad doesn't mean it won't boot. It's bad as in, I assume, a ton of sectors have gone bad which could erase your data. The only way to be sure is to check it with some sort of HDD checker, as Wombo Combo suggested.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Just because a HDD is bad doesn't mean it won't boot. It's bad as in, I assume, a ton of sectors have gone bad which could erase your data. The only way to be sure is to check it with some sort of HDD checker, as Wombo Combo suggested.
It appears to be chkdisk, as others have had this problem, and the fact all the files were there yesterday and working. Also I recovered the files. They're back now, and the temporary profile thing is now fixed. Odd. Anyway, thank you, and everyone else for the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse