.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
capt.photo_1288261902711-1-0.jpg

BEIJING (AFP) – China is set to trump the US to take the number one spot for the fastest supercomputer ever made in a survey of the world's zippiest machines, it was reported Thursday.

Tianhe-1, meaning Milky Way, has a sustained computing speed of 2,507 trillion calculations per second, making it the fastest computer in China on a list published Thursday.

But it is also 1.4 times faster that the world's current fastest ranked supercomputer in the US, housed at a national laboratory in Tennessee, according to the New York Times.

Tianhe-1 does its warp-speed "thinking" at the National Center for Supercomputing in the northern port city of Tianjin -- using mostly chips designed by US companies.

The Tianjin Meteorological Bureau and the National Offshore Oil Corporation data centre have both started trials using the computer.

"It can also serve the animation industry and bio-medical research," Liu Guangming, the supercomputing centre's director, told state news agency Xinhua.

According to Jack Dongarra, a University of Tennessee computer scientist who maintains the official supercomputer rankings which are due to be released next week, the Chinese beast "blows away the existing number one machine".

"We don't close the books until November 1, but I would say it is unlikely we will see a system that is faster," he told the New York Times.

It is not the first time, however, that the US has had its digital crown stolen by an Asian upstart. In 2002, Japan made a machine with more power than the top 20 American computers put together.

Japan is also working on a new machine called "K Computer" in a bid to take the supercomputing crown.

Computer designer Steven J. Wallach is not overly worried by China's rise to computing superpower.

"It's interesting, but it's like getting to the four-minute mile," he told the New York Times. "The world didn't stop. This is just a snapshot in time.

"They want to show they are number one in the world, no matter what it is." [/p]

Source

Another Source

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
Bulit said:
RoboticBuddy said:
Bulit said:
So many wires.
wtf.gif

I bet it can't run Metro 2033...
dry.gif

*Plugs in...*
Whoops, wrong port!
*Tries to find right port...*

I know right! I guess that why it's super fast.

EDIT: What's "Metro 2033"?
It's a pc game that requires very high specs.
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2033
Wow!
nyanya.gif
And thanks!
smile.gif
Your welcome.
smile.gif

But, I really don't see why we need another super comuter.
unsure.gif

And why do they have to be so damn overpowered?

Any suggestions?

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
Your welcome.
smile.gif

unsure.gif

Any suggestions?

Yes, because they might use it for future technology. In like 2020 (just making up random date), the computers that are released to the public will probably be that fast.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
unsure.gif

Any suggestions?
All the shit that makes your life better that doesn't directly relate to playing fucking mario brothers or halo or crysis.

Finding out how human proteins are arranged so we can find where a disease starts to make a pill that cuts it off before it kills you?
Doing all sorts of math to figure out the exact path of asteroids in the future to make sure they don't collide with the satellites that make your GPS work?
Analyzing a million terrabytes of underground sonar information to pinpoint where oil deposits may lie so people can continue to have gas for their cars to get to work every day?

Real-life shit, son.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally the more super computers the better. Because then I can control them all and take OVER THE WORLD...

-zoink- So what are we going to do tonight, Brain?...

Same thing we do every night Pinky,
TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Bulit said:
unsure.gif

Any suggestions?
All the shit that makes your life better that doesn't directly relate to playing fucking mario brothers or halo or crysis.

Finding out how human proteins are arranged so we can find where a disease starts to make a pill that cuts it off before it kills you?
Doing all sorts of math to figure out the exact path of asteroids in the future to make sure they don't collide with the satellites that make your GPS work?
Analyzing a million terrabytes of underground sonar information to pinpoint where oil deposits may lie so people can continue to have gas for their cars to get to work every day?

Real-life shit, son.
Well... that explains a lot.
blush.gif

Never again will I question technology.
bow.gif

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha I liked the retort. Nicely played Rydian... Nicely played... I won't kill you when I decide to take out humanity...
biggrin.gif

But yeah super computers are a necessity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool