Hacking Child-proofing Wiiflow configuration

Exidous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked this question before and got some good advice, but I've hit another stumbling block so I'll explain from the beginning.

My current setup is Priiloader autoboots Wiiflow, which is located on my SD card. My emunand is located on USB.

If my Wii boots with the SD card inserted, but not the USB, it will still load Wiiflow, but Wiiflow will not detect the USB emunand location, and will reconfigure its settings to default: look for an emunand on the SD card, which does not exist. Even if the USB drive is plugged in subsequently, those Wiiflow settings remain pointed at the SD card/defaults.

All this means that, if a user unplugs the USB, they need specific knowledge of which Wiiflow settings to fix in order to reenable emunand support in Wiiflow. I'd like to prevent and child-proof that scenario, so an end user never has to fiddle with the Wiiflow settings.

I first asked if the Wiiflow configuration could be "locked" so this doesn't happen, but I don't believe that is possible. Someone (apologies, I don't recall who) recommended putting Wiiflow on USB as a workaround. This way, Wiiflow can't boot in a way where the emunand USB path isn't also available, so the relevant settings will not get borked. Great!

So here's my next question: can you get Priiloader to autoboot Wiiflow that's located on the USB? It seems to only be able to boot dols on the SD card, so I assume I should point Priiloader to some kind of forwarder (that points to the usb/Wiiflow) rather than the regular apps/wiiflow dol. Can anyone confirm that, and point me to an appropriate dol to use for Priiloader?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Priiloader can launch things off usb

You can build a forwarder dol using modmii classic (see modmii.github.io). Start modmii classic, go to its advanced downloads page (A), then enter F to build a Forwarder dol. You can customize it to your liking, just enter the path to the app dol you want to launch, very simple, and examples are onscreen. Alternatively, if you have a Wiiflow forwarder channel installed, you can build a forwarder dol to launch its 4 digit title ID.

If this doesn't work for you, first make sure you are able to launch the app off usb via the hbc channel. If it still fails via priiloader then it's likely that your USB is slow to initialize/start up, so it's not detecting the app in a timely manner and you're being redirected to the system menu.

On another note, your current configuration may work if you flip the write access lock switch on your sd card. This may pose other issues, mainly with things like downloading new covers, or saving ocarina/cheat files, but this will prevent your settings from being changed.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked this question before and got some good advice, but I've hit another stumbling block so I'll explain from the beginning.

My current setup is Priiloader autoboots Wiiflow, which is located on my SD card. My emunand is located on USB.

If my Wii boots with the SD card inserted, but not the USB, it will still load Wiiflow, but Wiiflow will not detect the USB emunand location, and will reconfigure its settings to default: look for an emunand on the SD card, which does not exist. Even if the USB drive is plugged in subsequently, those Wiiflow settings remain pointed at the SD card/defaults.

All this means that, if a user unplugs the USB, they need specific knowledge of which Wiiflow settings to fix in order to reenable emunand support in Wiiflow. I'd like to prevent and child-proof that scenario, so an end user never has to fiddle with the Wiiflow settings.

I first asked if the Wiiflow configuration could be "locked" so this doesn't happen, but I don't believe that is possible. Someone (apologies, I don't recall who) recommended putting Wiiflow on USB as a workaround. This way, Wiiflow can't boot in a way where the emunand USB path isn't also available, so the relevant settings will not get borked. Great!

So here's my next question: can you get Priiloader to autoboot Wiiflow that's located on the USB? It seems to only be able to boot dols on the SD card, so I assume I should point Priiloader to some kind of forwarder (that points to the usb/Wiiflow) rather than the regular apps/wiiflow dol. Can anyone confirm that, and point me to an appropriate dol to use for Priiloader?
I will change this in v5.5.0 soon. Thanks for reminding me of this emunand issue.

Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2