Cheetahmen II Kickstarter Scam

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Eerpow, Aug 12, 2012.

Aug 12, 2012

Cheetahmen II Kickstarter Scam by Eerpow at 9:24 PM (13,729 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. Eerpow
    OP

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    [​IMG]

A few days ago a video featuring Internet celebrities Angry Video Game Nerd and Pat the NES Punk emerged promoting a kickstarter for a fixed release of an unlicensed glitched NES game called Cheetahmen II. When the project would meet its $65,000 goal the game would release on reproduction cartridges under the name Cheetahmen II: The Lost Levels, fixing a famous bug that made the original game impossible to beat. However, Greg Pabich the man behind the project have done similar Cheetahmen related projects before and many are now questioning how much such a project would realistically cost funding seeing as there already exists ROM patches for the game online, the sum would probably not even reach half of the money he's asking for. It's likely that Greg is exploiting the AVGN fanbase for his own personal gain.

Now Mike Matei have commented on the situation saying that they are now aware that the kickstarter is a ripoff and that they are currently unable to remove the video and ads due to contractual circumstances.

:rofl2: They're getting into some deep shit if they don't make a video apology addressing the problem and maybe somehow compensate people who blindly donated.
    I personally would lose major respect if they didn't acknowledge their mistake, I mean some old dude asking for 65k to release an absolutely terrible game and some merch?
    And they're all quiet about it as if nothing happened?

Anyway surprisingly I could not find any articles about this fraud so I thought I'd share here. Please move if this isn't USN worthy news.

Original kickstarter Video:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Video comments are deleted now btw.

Interesting video explanation I found:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Kickstarter

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
  3. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Wow o.o
    I'm with you here eerpow, they better have some way of delivering, or returning peoples donations.
    Seriously though, people have got to learn to stop blindly donating to things...

4. Eerpow
    OP

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
  5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I don't think they are responsible for compensation, honestly. Just because you blindly followed an Internet celebrity into buying into something completely not worth it, without doing your own research, that doesn't mean the said celebrity is responsible for your ill-researched purchase.

And while we're on the subject...

Scam implies you won't be getting what you pay for. I don't think anywhere in this, that the owner of the kickstarter even hinted that the cartridge wouldn't be released, which is what you are paying towards.

That's not to say it's worth it, because it certainly isn't by any stretch of the imagination. I just dislike the use of the word "scam" when the word doesn't really fit.

5 people like this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Yeah but I feel as if it would fit more in the original topic. But whatever I guess.

I had a feeling it was, besides not a lot of people have NES's anyways and if they do I don't think they'd buy a game for...I forget, did they set a price? For whatever monies lol.

7. Eerpow
    OP

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    That's a good point, though the money is probably not going to be used funding this, they've already made similar projects before without 65k to fund everything.
    I don't think they need to compensate either but if they don't they might lose a lot of fans, they've deleted their comments and they are still supporting this as if nothing happened.
    They should at least apologize and say that they've made a mistake, openly.

You're probably right haha, anyway I just found this to be so ridiculous.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    While I didn't watch the vid yet, I believe from a comment read TheArchfiend had beef with them before, so it is possible that he upping the
    situation more than it is.

I believe they have to reach the goal or they didn't get any money at all.
    I seem like some people are disregarding his comments because they already mention that they are under restraint. Plus they probably wanted
    to make sure before coming to a final, best decision. People act like they were meant to be perfect or something.

$60 dollars donation gives you a early copy of the game.
    Also, you get more than just the game and even more, depending on how much you donate.
    http://www.kickstart...st-levels/posts

9. Eerpow
    OP

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    I really hope this doesn't happen but I have a feeling that it unfortunately will reach that amount.

10. Phynx

Newcomer Phynx Advanced Member

United States
    I'm sorry, but this is not nearly as big of a deal as people (the guy in the video, especially) are making it out to be. Fans of this person or not, they'd be stupid not to read what they were putting their money into before sending over $60+.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mirby

Member Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

United States
    Plus, though there are patches online this Kickstarter is more about having a working physical copy as a collector's item than as a scam.

2 people like this.
  12. KingVamp

United States
    2 backers put in $1,000 dollars, I sure hope they know what they getting into.

1 person likes this.
  13. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    I dont believe the shit at all that their not allowed to take down the video or cant take down the video...... Their all doing it for money...... Greedy arseholes..

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The project is dumb, sure, but I think people are a bit quick to throw James and company under the bus. If someone blindly threw money at a project without bothering to do the research... well, they only have themselves to blame.

Ah, sure. Alright, buddy.

1 person likes this.
  15. KingVamp

United States
    I'm waiting to see how things plan out before giving a solid judgement,but this is what I mean by disregarding the comments. Doesn't matter what they do or say, it going be that person that says they are lying and they don't mean it with no proof or reason. To these people, saying something and equivalent of saying nothing. I soon as they set their eyes on the video or heard how about it, they thrown James and company under the bus instantly.

16. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Wow that guy in the video needs to grow up. If people decided to donate to it, then they did so knowingly. I'm a fan of a lot of celebs, but I don't donate to every charity they're apart of just because they talk about it or make a video. Its my opinion that the guy in that video was foolish enough to blindly donate because he was an AVGN fan, and now he feels like a total idiot so he's all butt hurt. I saw the video and enjoyed what I saw, but no way was I gonna donate to the cause, I saw the AVGN reviews of Action 52 and Cheetahmen, no way in hell would I donate to such an awful game. Mike and James have no reason to apologize, they never said you need to donate to this, they just helped make a video for some eccentric Cheetahmen fan, get over it.

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    seriously? 65K to fix a game that very few have played? if it was something like battletoads for snes then fine but definitely not this game.

i still like your tags.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  18. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    Maybe James was secretly in on this aswell, I hope not. I hope this dosent affect the AVGN movie progress either.

19. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Interesting. It was my first thought when the video first came out, why would they support something that's a piece of shit anyway?? I'm glad Mike is stepping up, I've always liked him!

20. KingVamp

United States

Under the unlisted video.
    Link

1 person likes this.