Gaming Checking if This PSP is Hackable or Not

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A long time ago, I posted a topic about the problems of my last PSP to see what to do with it. I gave up and it's lying somewhere in my room now.

So I go to BestBuy, and I buy a PSP that was an OPEN ITEM, which means someone bought it and brought it back. The PSP is 2000 and Piano Black with this: PSP-2001PB/98510. On the back, it says Package: ©2007 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. etc. etc.

I've been reading around about the Ta088v3 being unhackable.

So this is my question, is this PSP hackable or not, and what are the chances based on the situation I found it in?

I'm trying to be optimistic right now. So very much.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
You can run CFE (Custom Firmware Extender) on 3ks and TA88v3s by running it through ChickHEN on a 5.03 firmware and that'll let you play backups and what not.

If it was bought and then brought back, a "hacker" probably returned it after realising they couldn't hack it.

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
More proof that a hacker bought it is that the Memory Stick that's supposed to come with it is missing.
Now the question isn't why they would steal, but why they would take it out.

But, from BestBuy, I also got this Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. Which means if I don't like something about the PSP, I can return it for a full refund as a BestBuy Card.

Now here's my new question. Keep the Ta088v3 motherboard PSP in case it becomes hackable in the future or return and get a PSP 3000 and load up ChickHEN and everything, or return it and find a hacked PSP in Hong Kong (That's my vacation, in 10 days).

Yep, just looking for advice at this point.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gohobojoe said:
More proof that a hacker bought it is that the Memory Stick that's supposed to come with it is missing.
Now the question isn't why they would steal, but why they would take it out.

But, from BestBuy, I also got this Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. Which means if I don't like something about the PSP, I can return it for a full refund as a BestBuy Card.

Now here's my new question. Keep the Ta088v3 motherboard PSP in case it becomes hackable in the future or return and get a PSP 3000 and load up ChickHEN and everything, or return it and find a hacked PSP in Hong Kong (That's my vacation, in 10 days).

Yep, just looking for advice at this point.

Believe me, you don't need to look for a PSP in HK that's hacked, they all come with CFW (unless you buy from HMV or something). I'm not sure about the 3000 though because it wasn't out last time I was there.

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where in HK? One of my friends said Mong Kok.

Besides, that doesn't answer my question of what to do with my current PSP.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gohobojoe said:
Where in HK? One of my friends said Mong Kok.

Besides, that doesn't answer my question of what to do with my current PSP.

If you can get a refund I'd do that (spend it on some memory or something), and buy one in HK if you are sure you are going. The only thing is they aren't super-cheap in Hong Kong (it was like $180 US for slim 2 years ago). Go to Mong Kok, erm... I wish I could draw a map to the place hahaha, because it's not as straightforward as it seems. There is a building with an escalator open to the street, and there should be many advertisements for net cafe around and on it. The first floor of that place has a ton of shops selling psp/ps2/wii, etc.

You can also go to Sham Shui Po which is more PC stuff, but they have plenty of console stuff as well (don't know about the prices though). Golden Computer city or whatever is very easy to find, and the first floor is almost all console stuff (you can even find really rare Japanese console games in that place, but that's just my personal interest haha).

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. Since I have the two year customer satisfaction guarantee, I can always refund it later on.
The last person who got this took out the Memory stick and never put it back, so there's my excuse.

For now, I'll try the entire ChickHEN thing, but I honestly want a permanently hacked PSP. One that I can turn off and on without a hassle.

I'll probably just bring this webpage up when I go to Hong Kong and try to look for a place for the PSP.

For the time being, I'll be using Custom Firmware Enabler 3.50 for now, but like I said, I want a permanent solution.

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gohobojoe said:
Thanks. Since I have the two year customer satisfaction guarantee, I can always refund it later on.
The last person who got this took out the Memory stick and never put it back, so there's my excuse.

For now, I'll try the entire ChickHEN thing, but I honestly want a permanently hacked PSP. One that I can turn off and on without a hassle.

I'll probably just bring this webpage up when I go to Hong Kong and try to look for a place for the PSP.

For the time being, I'll be using Custom Firmware Enabler 3.50 for now, but like I said, I want a permanent solution.

Umm, WHAT?

Just as an FYI, that two year "customer satisfaction guarantee" is not what you are thinking it is.

If you read the rules and regulations that should have been given to you when you bought it, a white brochure with a bunch of writing, for Gadget and Gizmo, it only is good for damage done to the unit, given that it was caused from normal use, so no chucking it at a wall, cause Geek Squad will see threw your lies and you will then be stuck with a cracked up piece of junk that you can't do anything with.

Any other questions about the *Black Tie Protection* that you have, take it up with your nearest BBY.

You, like any other person that buys a PSP from BBY, only get 30 days to get your money back from it, don't believe me, 1-888-Best-Buy FTW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1