cheap efficient laptops

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by 1234turtles, Jul 28, 2011.

Jul 28, 2011

cheap efficient laptops by 1234turtles at 4:26 AM (884 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. 1234turtles
    OP

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Im trying to find a cheap laptop that can play games like Grand Chase, Rumble Fighter, Lost Saga efficiently (no lag).
    price range for me is 300 - 500 I would prefer them in the 300 range. Could some one recommend me a laptop?

2. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Hello my good friend. Well what do you want in a laptop? Also this is a good all round laptop

3. 1234turtles
    OP

United States
    hi, mostly i want to just see it get the job done without hassle
    i refrain from saying gaming laptop because there always like 1000 dollars

4. tagzard

United States
    Oh i see. Well will you buy online or at the stores?

5. 1234turtles
    OP

United States
    as long as the website is trustworthy i wont have a problem

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  7. tagzard

United States
  8. 1234turtles
    OP

United States
  9. tagzard

United States
  10. 1234turtles
    OP

United States
  11. tagzard

United States
  12. 1234turtles
    OP

United States
    saving for one but i have to at least have a goal the only thing to control me from spending to much

13. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    You're probably not going to be happy with the kind of performance you'd get out of anything with integrated Intel graphics solutions. If you are getting with something with integrated graphics, try to get something with an nVidia or AMD/ATI chipset, or even an older machine with a dedicated graphics solution if you intend to be playing games like that full screen with ordinary/moderate settings and no lag. Or get used to the idea of lower resolution/windowed modes.

A machine that I got for 500 off newegg last fall that had Radeon HD 4250 shared graphics is probably around $375 or less shipped now if it's still available. This is a machine that I've run WoW 4.x, Aion 2.5, and other games at full screen native resolution (1366x768) but low settings.

I would really recommend saving and keeping a budget cap of about 400 bucks. Then, check the back to school sales in your area for machines with specific qualities* before you order online. Here in El Paso there happens to be a CompaUSA store, for example, and they have a ton of overstock/clearance New-in-Box machines marked down tens and hundreds of bucks, and you really could get a good deal out of paying attention to a promo like that.

Like the others in this thread have recommended, Acer is reputable for the low-end machines, they are pretty good about trying to honor warranties as well.
    But if (if you buy from an e-tailer, and) there's any problem with your laptop that isn't apparent, and you wouldn't be able to return ship the RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) within 30 days of the invoice date, you could be talking about weeks to do a repair by mail for any manufacturer, this happened to me last fall with a display problem that cropped up, and it wouldn't have been possible to get the RMA in before the deadline. Because of this I had to ship it to Acer's warranty service center instead, and because of my travel I was without my brand new laptop for a pretty long time.. >.>

Specific qualities, if you do want your gaming to be tolerable in a cheap new laptop:
    * 3-4 GB minimum DDR3 RAM , preferably expandable to 6+ GB, though not really necessary to be more than 4 right off the start even with Win7 x64.
    * Multi-core CPU, at least dual-core 2.5+ GHz should be possible in your budget but you can prob do a little better.
    * A graphics solution that can allocate at least 512 MB maximum memory for games such as Lost Saga, preferably an nVidia or ATI/AMD chipset. 256 MB is just absolute bare minimum, for games like yours, or WoW, or Aion, performance takes a substantial hit because of 3d rendering/textures fill space.

* HDD size isn't as big a deal, they almost always have a 360 or 500 GB drive in this price range and that's plenty unless you're a torrent whore.

* 1 or more year parts and labor warranty, do not settle for less! Sometimes they have only 90 day warranties and after that parts and/or labor may cost you. This happened to me with a refurbished iBook a few years back bought direct from Apple! >.>

If you buy from a storefront retailer, they often have a better and more lenient return/exchange policy than online outfits when it comes to electronics, on top of the manufacturer warranty. Costco used to have a VERY forgiving one compared to most other outfits, I don't know if they still do, but they provided for *180 days* exchange warranty at one point, and if they didn't have the machine in stock for a direct replacement they would replace you with an equivalent or a step-up. The catch to that is you have to have a Costco membership to cash that deal in. (I don't so I don't know if they're still so forgiving either)