Hardware Cheap 256GB SD Cards for Switch?

Revie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Title.
Are there any Switch (+Homebrew) compatible SD Cards that are relatively cheap and 256GB or more?
When I look for compatible ones I only find SanDisk but they are much more expensive even compared to other brand. For example where I live a 512GB SD Card from SanDisk is 75euro and from Samsung it is 38euro. Big difference! But will it work?

If it helps, I am currently located in The Netherlands.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My main point is, will it work? As the only SD Cards that come up looking for Switch Compatible are SanDisk ones that are much more expensive

You should go with a name brand like Samsung or Sandisk, the cheaper one you get won't be 512GB anyway, even though they might advertise it as 512GB. Always test your card though with H2testw.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title.
Are there any Switch (+Homebrew) compatible SD Cards that are relatively cheap and 256GB or more?
When I look for compatible ones I only find SanDisk but they are much more expensive even compared to other brand. For example where I live a 512GB SD Card from SanDisk is 75euro and from Samsung it is 38euro. Big difference! But will it work?

Don't concern yourself with specific Switch branding. Most Class-10 cards will be perfect. It's about the read/write speeds, and whether they are legitimate cards.

I've purchased four of these cards so far, three of them for a Switch (OG, OLED and Lite), and one for my laptop.

Works absolutely beautifully, and you likely will never need anything more.

I do not recommend getting a smaller card. You will regret it when you fill it up and want more games. If you're going to buy an SD card, get 1TB. You won't regret that.

EDIT: The link does not pop up if you are using AdBlock or something similar. Go to Amazon and look for the following.

Also, their 256GB cards are only $18, and the 512GB is forty bucks. But, go with 1TB. Seriously.

SanDisk 1TB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 150MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, MicroSD Card - SDSQUAC-1T00-GN6MA, Red​

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,
Reactions: ILuvGames

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Every SD card is compatible with the Nintendo Switch.
It's just a matter of transfer speeds.
Brand card give better transfer rates.
So games load faster.
Avoid the 4TB card for $10 on eBay.
Anything suspiciously cheap is probably a fake card of a smaller size.
You can test that with tools like H2testw.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Holy moly. DO NOT buy some of these fake/no name cheapo brands. You will definitely regret it. That would be like deciding to use exFAT.

As stated above, buy samsung or sandisk cards. They are cheap these days. Even the 512gb ones or higher.

Arrrchitects

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely buy a reputable brand. I've used a cheap one before and it was just all around an unpleasant experience. I have a Samsung something or other (don't have my Switch on me at the moment) myself. SD cards go on sale all the time. I think I got my 512 for 20 bucks. Slickdeals is your friend here.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
There's that weird pricing in amazon when one time I bought a dozen 512GB for $25 pop for Sandisk. They were genuine and were recently manufactured.

Revie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Holy moly. DO NOT buy some of these fake/no name cheapo brands. You will definitely regret it. That would be like deciding to use exFAT.

As stated above, buy samsung or sandisk cards. They are cheap these days. Even the 512gb ones or higher.
I'm not sure why so many people are going on about "fake/noname" brands in this thread. In the OP I mentioned a Samsung cardas example and only asked if non "Switch Certified" Cards could still work. I obviously wouldn't buy a 10Tb $10 from sujzieue china brand

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure why so many people are going on about "fake/noname" brands in this thread. In the OP I mentioned a Samsung cardas example and only asked if non "Switch Certified" Cards could still work. I obviously wouldn't buy a 10Tb $10 from sujzieue china brand
Every SD works on the switch.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well regardless where you get the card from, you should always test the card.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Judging from the reviews i've seen outside of Amazon, the teamgroup cards seem to be pretty decent for the money compared to the big names. They even mention Switch compatibility if that is still of a concern to you after reading the other posts in here.

Revie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Judging from the reviews i've seen outside of Amazon, the teamgroup cards seem to be pretty decent for the money compared to the big names. They even mention Switch compatibility if that is still of a concern to you after reading the other posts in here.
Ended up going with a 512GB Samsung one from a local store :)

Thanks for the advice all

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
And always test with h2wtest for safety so it ain't a fake. So any sandisk fakes on Amazon :<
That's why I only get mine from SanDisk or Samsung directly from Amazon. Like, from their stores on there. I don't trust any 3rd party sellers of SD cards.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Title.

SanDisk (Ultra) and Samsung (Evo/Evo Plus) are both good, buy whichever is cheaper for you.
I tend to avoid some other brands, like Kingston and Transcend, their cards seem to be rather slow, and they aren't as durable.
Just make sure whatever you buy is from a trusted seller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto