Changing hard drives

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ganons, Feb 27, 2011.

Feb 27, 2011

Changing hard drives by ganons at 9:09 PM (931 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. ganons
    OP

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So a friend is getting a new internal hdd for his 3.55 kmeaw slim, ive read:

* If you take the hard drive out and put the same one in, it will ask to format?
    * When putting in a new hdd, it wont be recognised unless you have have an update folder in the ps3? then it will install the file and the drive is recognised. So what does one do if they have a cfw?

2. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    None of those are true... As long as you don't plug the harddrive into a computer there should be no problem. It doesn't matter if the harddrive is empty or not, either way if it's already ps3 formatted nothing will happen and if it's formated like in NTFS or something if will be re-formated and no information will be left. So putting an update folder onto the harddrive will do nothing.

BTW. OFW, CFW, MFW all reside in some sort of flash memory on the ps3 so the harddrive has nothing to do with it. [​IMG]

3. ganons
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok thanks, can I connect the ps3 hdd on a PC and read it?

4. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The computer won't read it naturally, as the PS3 use a non-standard HDD format (similar to how WBFS can't be read normally by Windows).

5. ganons
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok and can you copy backups on ps3-A and then take that hdd out and stick it in ps3-B? both being on the same cfw

6. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    but you can still format it right? I'm replacing my HDD tomorrow and plan on reusing it as a usable drive for PC

7. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe Sony encodes each harddrive with it's custom encryption key, thus the harddrive from another PS3 won't be readable.

Bloodgod: Yes, they are standard 2.5" SATA drives, formatting them will turn them into a regular PC hard drive.

8. ganons
    OP

United Kingdom
    actually the ps3 said it didnt recognise the drive and it needed to be formatted and that an update file was required. Putting the update file in usb stick then pressing start+select when prompted did the job. It loads the ps3 from scratch meaning you lose any saved settings

9. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Yes, you can format it and then use it as normal. I just did that a few days ago.

10. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Yeah... but putting the update on a USB-stick is not the same thing as putting it on the harddrive.