Changing audio output settings

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by AlanJohn, Oct 13, 2011.

Oct 13, 2011
  1. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I have 6 3.5mm jacks in the back of my desktop, they're all in different colors (white, purple, blue etc). I used one of them for my speakers, but now its loosened (dont even ask how). I tried to put my speakers in the other jacks, but the speakers still won't make any sound (well, accept a noise, but thats the speakers problem).
    I know that this isn't the cords or speakers problem since I also tried my cheaphoe headphones.
    I remember while I used SP2 there was a window that pop'd-up when something was wrong the outputs, it gave the ability to change the output settings, but I can't seem to find something like this in W7.

So, how to I adjust the jacks?

2. AlanJohn
    This message by AlanJohn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 6, 2016.
    Oct 13, 2011
  3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    That thing that would pop up was likely audio tray application for the sound card itself, as it isn't something natively built in to XP. Assuming it is on-board audio, look up your motherboard model on your motherboard's manufacturer website and download the audio installation package.

Though I don't know if you would be able to do that, output a signal through a different jack. I honestly think your best bet would be to pick up a USB sound card or a PCI-e one. USB is gonna be easiest, but you're gonna get the best performance and quality through a PCI-e one.

4. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
  5. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Try this if you are on 64 bit win7 or this if on 32 bit one . If it still doesn't allow you to specify the use of each port then tell us the exact model of your motherboard.

6. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    your best bet is to buy a soundcard as this will also improve the audio quality.
    most likely the drivers are realtek as with most mobo's you can download the realtek drivers here.

7. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    None of above worked.

You dont understand, everything worked PERFECTLY before my jack broke. I just need to find out how to set one of those outputs to work.

8. The_Dragons_Mast

Egypt
    Okay then your motherboard use different drivers . Tell us the exact model & windows version so we can find the software . To know your motherboard model read it from the box , the motherboard itself or use something like speccy to know it .

9. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Gigabyte Technology.
    Model: GA-MA69VM-S2.

10. The_Dragons_Mast

Egypt
  11. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Thanks!
    Now its time to experiment...

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you do not care to repair the port there are some options. I assume you have FFdshow on your machine and if not then sort that (CCCP has it included if you want to install that). I am not sure how well it would work normally but when you stick it in the other port if you say yes it really is some rear surround speakers and then head to to the mixer options and send all the respective channels to the "rear surround" or whatever you used. This is mainly for things ffdshow decodes but you should be able to do it for a raw audio option as well.