crazyguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys,

after my girlfriend got me a new 3DS from her visit in the US (we are living in the EU) I encounter difficulties to get my hand on games for my 3DS here...

Now three question arises for me:

1.) Would it be possible to flash my US 3DS with an European firmware?

2.) Would this make it possible to play EUR games?

3.) Would it be legal?

What do you think?

Sorry for my bad english
smile.gif

crazyguy

crazyguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I know its not possible atm but it was more a theoretical question.

In detail there are two major points in my questions:

1. Is there some HW lock to prevent installing other regions firmware?

2. Is the region lock implemented in the firmware or in any other part of the DS3? (Some chip or bios or....)

As I am awake more than 36 hours now my english is getting worse every minute... Thats why I said sorry
wink2.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The 3DS hasn't been hacked yet, not in hardware nor in software. We don't even know if it'll ever be possible.

There are lots of software/hardware protections in place that won't just let you mess with the 3DS internals.

Mostly private keys, encryption schemes and the likes, which just makes impossible to flash/replace any sensible component.

TL;DR Just sell it on eBay and get an EU one
wink.gif

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What happend if we change the P in the header that is sended after the 820000000000000000000000000000 command to U. Like the US headers.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
ichichfly said:
What happend if we change the P in the header that is sended after the 820000000000000000000000000000 command to U. Like the US headers.
How does you change it?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Also, the region lock is in the cartridge, according to Nintendo, it's the developer's option to use it or not.

You should sell it and get an european one anyway. Either that or import your games. It's not likely that devs make a game region free.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

jbondsr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Region locking is stupid.

I understand that there is money, licensing, and even a few laws involved, but it's still a ridiculous policy. And why change it now (Nintendo!)? Region-locking does not even help to combat piracy. It's doing things like this (region-locking) that cause people to look for alternative solutions, which can/usually does lead to piracy.

The amount of people who import must be incredibly negligible to the amount of people who buy locally.
Even if the game you wanted to import was available in your own native language (ie. someone in the UK buying a US game), the overhead of buying it online+shipping or from an import store, wouldn't make importing all that attractive.

And it's not like people don't know what they're buying. It's not 15 years ago. This is the internet age. They know the game is from another region, in another language, and that they won't get local support or a refund if something doesn't work right.

Additionally, it's an inconvenience for those of us who are international travelers, ex-pats, or those of us who are multilingual. We're forced to choose one region, most likely losing the opportunity to experience games that will never be released in other areas of the world.

Preventing people from actually buying your software - I just can't wrap my head around it.

Reactions: jalaneme

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they are breaking a law in terms of having other regions play unless they are intentionally selling it to the region they aren't suppose too.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's possible with the Wii. I'm sure it'll one day be possible with the 3DS as well. It's part of the firmware, and also part of the game coding. All you have to do is flash firmware from another region (the European firmware, in this case), and your problem would be solved. It might not be that straight-forward, but for the most part, it should be a simple matter (albeit one that won't be achieved for a while yet - probably over a year in waiting time).

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
shineaway said:
Could you use a proxy to redirect the US update site to the European one?

yes and no because a part of the requests is signed so the 3ds detect this and you can't update

Nollog said:
QUOTE(ichichfly @ May 24 2011, 10:06 PM) What happend if we change the P in the header that is sended after the 820000000000000000000000000000 command to U. Like the US headers.
How does you change it?

Thats the problem i can only track it.

rajackar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to raise this topic from the dead but does anyone know if there was any progress in this area. I'm not have high hopes because it haven't been able to find any info.
I'll bought a 3ds in the us and live in Europe. Ik can access the us Nintendo shop just fine from Europe but I'd like to be able to buy games here and link my Dutch Nintendo ID.
If the latter is possible in any way that would be great in itself.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
im wondering why nobody has made the region free mod but based on b1.....:wtf:

seems like something that should of just been the logical step after b2 bricking fiasco

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the gateway team said they will look into making region free for retail games too, so just wait for the update... it's not in the 2.0, btw.
(if it's only for retail games, you don't need the gateway card, only a DS flaschard compatible with your firmware, to install the gateway exploit. just in case you didn't know...)

p.s. you will need firmware 4.x, of course.

D

Deleted-236924

Also, the region lock is in the cartridge, according to Nintendo, it's the developer's option to use it or not.

Even then, the only known region-free DSi-enhanced/3DS games would be the English versions of Pokémon Black/White/Black 2/White 2.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i already know how the gateway works and i know they said they are adding region free for retail carts in 2.0 final, but after all the buzz around the initial region free mod to the gateway FW i would of expected someone to step in and make the same patch but on b1.

its no biggy just sort of figured someone might might of done it so the people who where using the region free mod could still use region free for retail carts

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head