OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A fourteen-year-old boy was killed after the chair he was sitting on exploded, propelling sharp chair parts into his rectum, causing extensive bleeding, which he succumbed to before medical attention could stem the flow.

The accident occurred when the boy was alone, sitting on the chair (which was for PC use); he managed to overcome the pain and call his father, who summoned an ambulance, but it took an hour to get him to hospital, by which time it was too late for him.

The chair in question was a standard gas cylinder type, where the height is regulated by an adjustable cylinder containing highly pressurised gas, and it was this which exploded, sending high velocity chair parts into the posterior of the unfortunate youth.

In fact, it seems a spate of such incidents were reported at the hospital – 3 such injuries caused by exploding chairs were reported this month, perhaps indicating an influx of poorly manufactured chairs into the area. In 2007 a similar accident also propelled a 20cm part into the rear of a 68-year-old man, who suffered a severe 5cm wound; he survived.

The illustrated chair shows the severity of such a cylinder malfunction.

We do not hear where the chair parts in question were made, though of course with the accident occurring in China it is likely there that they were made.

Three factors are implicated in such accidents:
QUOTE said:
1. The gas in the cylinder is contaminated with gases other than nitrogen.
2. The materials used in the cylinder are deficient, reducing the durability of the part.
3. The cylinder is not completely airtight.
Oil based hydraulic devices are said to be safer, but most such chairs on the market today use gas cylinders; naturally these tend to be made in China, where this accident occurred.

The boy in question weighed 80kg (certainly a fair amount for a 14-year-old Asian youth), which might have been a factor (though this will not reassure heavier framed non-Asian adults); it is suggested that using such chairs without placing excessive pressure on the cylinder is advisable – otherwise sitting on a steel plate might help.

[title:Pictures of the chair]
explodedchairgascylinde.jpg
explodedchairgascylinde.jpg

I would link a source, but the site has "Mature" content. What am I doing there then? shh...
And the original source was in Japanese, or I think...

I'm scared now... I'm on my laptop upstairs, sitting on my bed, thank god. I'm scared of that chair downstairs.

I like how they tagged it on the website: Made in China
laugh.gif

EDIT: Crap, I mean 14 year old boy. Change topic title please?

B

ball2012003

wow im glad i got a wood chairs for my pc
but thats the kind of chairs i use at school for my typing class
im scared

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
Read topic title as "chair kills 14 boys"... Whoa boy. That must have been one helluva rebel chair I thought.
Yeah, I missed that, and I put an edit if you could change the topic title please?

What I realized is that our chair's legs were broken, but we fixed that, but what if it's going to completely break? Oh crap, it looked old already.
unsure.gif

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That's very sad, and it'll bring a paranoia to some people. I'm already hesitant to change my chair, but wow, of all the things that could've happened, this? This is tragic...

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This actually makes me scared of my chair now. How can you tell it's made form the same materials? Mine has a lever to adjust as well.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
Read topic title as "chair kills 14 boys"... Whoa boy. That must have been one helluva rebel chair I thought.
hey me too!
heh. how sad :[
i wonder if the boy was on the chubby side.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tinymonkeyt said:
shaunj66 said:
hey me too!
80kg is overweight for a 14 year old kid, but it's definitely normal for older folks.

And I'm now mortally terrified of those chairs.
ohmy.gif

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cosmo2389 said:
The source is most likely sankakucomplex.com... And it has been quite a while since this story was posted there btw.
Yeah it is, but I didn't want to link since it's full of pr0n. And their source was in Japanese.

Why was I there you ask? Heeheee....

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
tinymonkeyt said:
shaunj66 said:
hey me too!
80kg is overweight for a 14 year old kid, but it's definitely normal for older folks.

And I'm now mortally terrified of those chairs.
ohmy.gif
im thinking the chair might have been defective or cheaply made/cheap parts in it which couldnt withstand that weight

It should have come with a tag stating, weight limit = 150lbs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill