CFW: SD card removed error

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by madbullman, Dec 9, 2016.

1. madbullman
    OP

madbullman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Poland
    I got my old 3DS running on the CFW luma3ds (a9hl, FBI, HBL) and it is updated to the newest firmware.

When i try to install a .cia or while playing games which are already installed i quite often get an error which says: SD card removed. please press home button to return. After a couple retries it starts to work well (even without taking the SD card in and out) so this thing confuses me.

I use a micro SD card with an adapter on my 3DS. Reformated sd card and tried with different adapters but this doesnt solve the problem. Is this even a valid option or should i consider buying a normal sized sd card for my 3DS?

I also have another question, if someone would install an USA (regionfree) version of a game on an EUR system could it still be updated through the eshop or would this be impossible?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    its just as simple as a faulty or dirty adapter. trust me, i would know lol. but yeah, it might take a few tries for stuff to go correctly, but adapters are just finnicky that way. either clean the adapter or get a new adapter, or get a full size sd

as for the update thing, you cant just simply update by pressing y when it prompts you to, you have to either download the update cia of the games region, or download it directly with freeshop with the same region

3. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    Truely regionfree titles should share a title id so eshop updates should be fine.

Some rf titles I think still differ themselves by looking a device location/model but luma locale changer should help with that.

4. madbullman
    OP

madbullman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Poland
    OKay thank you guys for the answers ! anyway the thing is i tried to clean both adapters pins but is still not working correct. Seems like the fault is not on the side of the adapters or maybe both are faulty. They work on other devices tho without a problem why is it a problem with the 3DS?

Yea i guess so because i found some regionfree titles while some titles were regionfree but the version was from USA or EUR.

5. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    It could be that they cut back costs on the o3ds SD slot. I mean, they intentionally capped the 3ds read-write speeds, so they probably also cut back on the actual stability when it comes to micro SD cards (considering it comes stock with a full size sd, they prolly thought a micro SD wasn't really a priority) Also try not to jostle the system too much, ie, metroid prime federation force

6. madbullman
    OP

madbullman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Poland
    what do you mean by jostling the system? pushing it to the limit? what could happen if i play the metroid game?

7. chocoboss

chocoboss GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    Faulty adapter or SDCard I think. I never got any problem on my o3DS

8. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    No I just mean excessive movement.
    On o3ds metroid prime FF only has gyroscope controls. Its already finnicky as it is, shaking it loose won't help :lol:

9. madbullman
    OP

madbullman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Poland
    chocoboss may i ask what kind of sdcard you use? sdhc or micro+adapter?

ah okay i get it now that you mention it i got the problem quiet sometime while playing metroid .. guess gonna hit the shops in a while .

10. chocoboss

chocoboss GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    MicroSD + adapter, from PNY SD XC ( 64Gb )

I don't have metroid

Last edited by chocoboss, Dec 9, 2016
  11. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    USA or EUR titles have different TitleIDs, when the .cia was altered to be region free, it means that it will run on a cfw that does not patch regions without any major problem (except download play titles will never work for out of region games). Whether region free or not. The title will still have the titleid matching a region, and this cannot be altered.

The only exception to the rule that i know of are the legit pokemon games, they are truly region free and do not differ in any way from one region to the other.

Nowadays all cfw automatically patch out of region games, so this isn't really necessary.

For updating out of region games either look for the update .cia for that games region, or use freeshop. Eshop will only work with titles whose titleid match your 3ds region.

As for the adaptor issue, try blowing dry air into the sd slot of the 3ds. It may have dust in it.

EDIT:
    False, i have an o3ds. It also accepts the circle pad pro input and selecting that config removes the gyro controls

Last edited by Alex658, Dec 9, 2016
    HyperT likes this.
  12. madbullman
    OP

madbullman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    Poland
    That is some nice info about the Regionlock! Thank you.

well guess i found the problem after trying 3 different adapters and also cleaning them with canned air and alc it wasnt actually the fault of the adapters. It was the micro sd card!!! Who could have guessed that? i was using a SanDisk Ultra 32 gb now i transfered my data to an old, slow 8gb micro sd card and everything seems to work. no more sd card removed errors. guess that SanDisk was faulty.

anyway can you guys recommend me a sdcard i should get? what should be considered when buying one? im looking for 100% compatibility no more problems with this stuff. =)

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    As long as you buy it from a shop and not online (online from a big store chain is fine, just not ebay etc), any SD card is fine.

14. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    this happens rarely on my n3ds xl.