CFW Question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GibFTW, Nov 22, 2016.

1. GibFTW
    OP

GibFTW GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    Do CFW auto start with your device? Like NTR? Or do you need to load into homebrew to launch it. If you do, can you use anything to make it startup with your device?

2. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    not sure what cfw you are talking about but lumas is automatically started before even boot up

3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Well on the contrary, NTR is the one that needs manual launching.
    Luma and friends boot with whatever entrypoint you use though, and that entrypoint can be menuhax or a9lh if you want it to be automatic (menuhax being a lot slower and a lot less reliable).

4. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    CFW which using A9LH as a method to load should load before your device boot, since this is A9LH's nature.
    CFW which using Menuhax as a method to load should load the same time the home menu boot, since this is Menuhax's nature.
    NTR CFW need to boot from Homebrew app call BootNTR, since this is NTR CFW's nature.

I don't know if there is another way to boot CFW. Since currently I only saw 3 ways.

5. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Well, if you can boot a CFW with menuhax, you can boot it with browserhax or OoT3Dhax too or whatever. Except that it's less convenient and no sane person who can use menuhax would use anything else (besides a9lh).

nechigawara likes this.
  6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    CFWs can boot through several different methods. Basically any entrypoint through 9.2/9.0 or through A9LH can be used to boot into a CFW.
    A9LH and MenuHAX can be used to autoboot your CFW though

nechigawara likes this.
  7. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Thanks, I'm not sure because I believe I read from somewhere that telling me about some Homebrew need to run from Menuhax only or they won't work.
    So I don't know if CFW will be the same or not.