Hacking CFW app - Homebrew request

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I know it seems like I am posting in the wrong thread but please hear me out...

Can some clever dev's put together a cia homebrew that just checks if the current running fw has firm1&0 protections in place?

It's just that lately the new trend seems to be; CFW are nightly builds... Would be great just to have a 3rd party app to confirm and say current cfw is a-ok before an upgrade:)

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Hey guys, I know it seems like I am posting in the wrong thread but please hear me out...

Can some clever dev's put together a cia homebrew that just checks if the current running fw has firm1&0 protections in place?

It's just that lately the new trend seems to be; CFW are nightly builds... Would be great just to have a 3rd party app to confirm and say current cfw is a-ok before an upgrade:)

You should read about the CFW before needing to post this thread, essentially most apart from GW

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should read about the CFW before needing to post this thread, essentially most apart from GW

I agree and I do, but nevertheless most users now are updating systems from nightly builds rather than stable. I think it would be wise to have an app like this.

Last edited by democracy,

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree and I do, but nevertheless most users now are updating systems from nightly builds rather than stable. I think it would be wise to have an app like this.
um, why should a "Nightly" build don't protect firm0/1? you are aware that "Nightly" is just a build thats not in the releases section, like clone the repo, run make and then you have built it yourself, exactly the same thing.

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um, why should a "Nightly" build don't protect firm0/1? you are aware that "Nightly" is just a build thats not in the releases section, like clone the repo, run make and then you have built it yourself, exactly the same thing.

Your pokemon is hypnotic...

You know the difference between nightly and stables, the pros the cons... I just don't think it's wise to muck around with system updates with something that is called a nightly, IIRC this belief led to some A9LH bricks a while back.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your pokemon is hypnotic...

You know the difference between nightly and stables, the pros the cons... I just don't think it's wise to muck around with system updates with something that is called a nightly, IIRC this belief led to some A9LH bricks a while back.
that doesn't make sense at all, a "cfw" is not a real cfw its just a signature patcher mostly being present as an arm9 payload "arm9loaderhax.bin" which is executed by the arm9loader after the garbage in arm9mem jumps to the payload located between firm0 and firm1, so I don't see how running a payload that boots the nand can brick any partition.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
that doesn't make sense at all, a "cfw" is not a real cfw its just a signature patcher mostly being present as an arm9 payload "arm9loaderhax.bin" which is executed by the arm9loader after the garbage in arm9mem jumps to the payload located between firm0 and firm1, so I don't see how running a payload that boots the nand can brick any partition.
he's asking for an app to check if firm0/firm1 updating is correctly patched.
also, if you want to say to someone that what they say doesn't make sense, then try not to share bullshit pseudo-knowledge to people.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, if you want to say to someone that what they say doesn't make sense, then try not to share bullshit pseudo-knowledge to people.
See, the driver hooks the function by patching the system call table, so it's not safe to unload it unless another thread's about to jump in and do its stuff, and you don't want to end up in the middle of invalid memory.

Reactions: CrispyCola

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, the driver hooks the function by patching the system call table, so it's not safe to unload it unless another thread's about to jump in and do its stuff, and you don't want to end up in the middle of invalid memory.

Well now I know why it hasn't been done before, thank you. I'm a linux guy, thought we might be able to create an app that just checks and reports permissions of the firm partitions, why did I think it could be that easy:)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would be a shame if I had a sticky that could just answer that question for you
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
This app would be extremely redundant when only 2 CFWs lack FIRM0/1 protection. GatewayCFW and that joke of a CFW "freeCFW" that Supercard stole.
So I guess the next best thing for the paranoid, would be to have super lean basic cfw that is produced as stable for the sole purpose of just handling Nintendo upgrades but then we already have that more or less with luma, last stable boots fine, just to a black screen until nightly is used.
That actually was the purpose of SaltFW and Mizuki. Of course no one foresaw that Nintendo would make a bold move like they did. And the community killed Mizuki.

Last edited by The Catboy,

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be a shame if I had a sticky that could just answer that question for you
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
This app would be extremely redundant when only 2 CFWs lack FIRM0/1 protection. GatewayCFW and that joke of a CFW "freeCFW" that Supercard stole.

That actually was the purpose of SaltFW and Mizuki. Of course no one foresaw that Nintendo would make a bold move like they did. And the community killed Mizuki.

Sorry, I edited my post to drop the bit you quoted because I had more time to think about it and kind of agree with you point.

Okay, what I seem to be hearing from the community; as far as firm protection go, nightly or stable, and all but except 2 cfw, always be rest assured, firm protection will always be there in a functioning capacity on all nightly builds produced when it comes time to update.....

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry, I edited my post to drop the bit you quoted because I had more time to think about it and kind of agree with you point.

Okay, what I seem to be hearing from the community; as far as firm protection go, nightly or stable, and all but except 2 cfw, always be rest assured, firm protection will always be there in a functioning capacity on all nightly builds produced.....
Expect two CFWs, all currently released/active have FIRM0/1 protection. Corbenik and CakesFW require the user to turn on the protection.

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expect two CFWs, all currently released/active have FIRM0/1 protection. Corbenik and CakesFW require the user to turn on the protection.

Well, nevertheless, people are people and mistakes do happen... and anyone is free to commit and fork on git. If someone can make this app, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well now I know why it hasn't been done before, thank you. I'm a linux guy, thought we might be able to create an app that just checks and reports permissions of the firm partitions, why did I think it could be that easy:)
I think you missed the joke.

Also, there are no "write permissions" for FIRM. What the CFW does is it patches out the FIRM update code that's normally called by the System Update function so it does nothing, but returns "success".

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you missed the joke.

Also, there are no "write permissions" for FIRM. What the CFW does is it patches out the FIRM update code that's normally called by the System Update function so it does nothing, but returns "success".

Ah thats a pretty funny joke! The scary thing I actually understood the explanation!?

Well this is good news, means this app is entirely possible.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can add EZ Flash's clone of an old Gateway launcher.dat to that list too.

Well this is good news, means this app is entirely possible.
Sure, but it's still entirely unnecessary and somewhat useless really.

The average noob who would benefit from it (the kind of noob who installs Gateway's fastboot in the first place), is completely unaware that such an app exists, because they don't know what firm protection is or why it's needed in the first place.

It's not like Gateway advertise that their CFW...
has no firm protection, so updating your firmware while running our CFW may result in you losing fastboot and/or bricking your 3DS!

If you'd like to protect yourself from consequences such as this, we recommend you use a free CFW such as Luma3DS.

As always, enjoy!

Reactions: democracy

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can add EZ Flash's clone of an old Gateway launcher.dat to that list too.

Sure, but it's still entirely unnecessary and somewhat useless really.

The average noob who would benefit from it (the kind of noob who installs Gateway's fastboot in the first place), is completely unaware that such an app exists, because they don't know what firm protection is or why it's needed in the first place.

It's not like Gateway advertise that their CFW...
wasn't thinking so much that this would sev noob needs so much, i honestly can't beleive some of the noobs posts sometimes, there actually quite comical really...

3DS is my precious, just trying to look out for it and be advebtuous trying new cfw too without getting stung, thats where i saw the need for the tool.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
wasn't thinking so much that this would sev noob needs so much, i honestly can't beleive some of the noobs posts sometimes, there actually quite comical really...

3DS is my precious, just trying to look out for it and be advebtuous trying new cfw too without getting stung, thats where i saw the need for the tool.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
But the non-noobs know that Luma provides firm protection, and Gateway doesn't. So there isn't really any sort of situation where it would be useful for someone.

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the non-noobs know that Luma provides firm protection, and Gateway doesn't. So there isn't really any sort of situation where it would be useful for someone.

I think the point I was trying to make has been made and ignored, no worries:) I'll just continue on with what I have been doing which works well; moving.......carefully...... slow.........zzzzzzz_____^____^_________^_______........

Se what happen there? I flatline:)

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad