CfgLoader - mod for other applications possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by drhookster, Jun 30, 2010.

1. drhookster
    OP

Newcomer drhookster Newbie

Philippines
    I am fairly new to Wii Console and am learning about SoftMod and USB Loaders etc.

Have managed to follow the excellent information and Tutorials and used some excellent Wii Utilities and Applications.

I used Wii Backup Manager to install .cISO games on USB HDD, and installed WiiFlow and USBLoaderGX.

There was no consistency with the File Names of the .cISO Files I had downloaded. The Wii Backup Manager offers conversion to .wbfs files and can store in a wbfs folder on an NTSC partition. I liked the consistency of the Wii Games File Names, so 'converted' as it was the WiiTDB File Names and Wii Code generated.

I then decided to find a USB Loader that could load from .wbfs files on an NTSC partition
    - hence my installing Configurable USB Loader

I am very impressed with this Wii 'USB Loader
    So my thanks go out to oggzee, usptactical, gannon and Dr.Clipper

and to the other Wii applications it was based on Wanikoko SD/USB Loader 1.5, Kwiirk Yal, Hermes uLoader 3.1, WiiPower NeoGamma R4
    + many others (Sorg, nIxx, fishears, 56Killer, WiiShizzza, hungyip84, Narolez,...)

I really do like this GUI Wii 'Jukebox' to select the Game, read some info, and launch it.

It got me thinking about the Wurlitzer Music Jukebox and wondered if the Wii Console could act as an MP3 and Video Jukebox?

About 12 years ago I bought MusicMatch for my PC and was impressed with it's ability to do 'SuperTagging' of the MP3 Tracks and store Album Art details, as well as Album/Artist/Track Title/Track No.

I mean with the cost of USB HDD's coming down in price, and now the ability to have one Wii Games library on an NTFS partition, there could be an MP3 Library of Music Tracks, and Video Library.

I have seen Wii Applications that can stream such Audio and Video from a PC, but not found any applications that can launch MP3 (or Video) with the nice GUI and Box Art of these USB Loaders.

How much work would it take to modify something like this Wii Backup Manager to use the MP3 Album Art instead of Wii DVD BoxArt, and launch an MP3 Track instead of the Wii Game?

I do not know if it is technically possible or if it were practical as well as those who developed such Wii Applications being interested or giving permission to do further modification for such 'Media Jukebox'?

How 'popular' would such Media Jukebox be on the Wii Console, showing the Album Art on a Music Jukebox carousel, or the DVD art of Movies collection.

Sorry if this is 'Off-Topic', and not permitted discussion here. Please delete or move to new area if inappropriate.

Having seen and used the fantastic USB Loader GUI, with this 'Cover' Art, it just seemed it was a bit 'wasted' with all this work and development used just for launching Wii Games, when 'potentially' such GUI could turn the Wii into a Media 'Jukebox'.

I installed BootMii such that Homebrew Channel launches after the configurable BootMii settings, instead of the standard Wii Menu. However the use of PriiLoader capability (if I have read about this correctly, but not attempted to install yet), one could have the USB Loader launch instead of the Wii System Menu.
    Install Priiloader to boot USB Loader and then set BootMii to launch System Menu after say 3 seconds. Instead of the System Menu, Priilodar launches and its settings launches the Configurable USB Loader.

Think how great it would be if such Configurable USB Loader, allowed one to choose (1) Wii Games Library, (2) Music Library. (3) Video Library, and then the appropriate 'carousel' of jacket Cover Art was displayed, and the Wii Game, or Album/Track or Video, was then launched.

Sorry for such a crazy idea and 'deviation' from the Application 'Topic'. I just wanted to find out if it is really crazy idea, and not at all practical. Is anybody willing to help investigate the feasibility of such a modification, getting the 'permissions' to use other applications development, let alone give it a try and actually produce a 'Beta' version?

I expect the reason nobody has tried this before, is due to such software being available for the PC.

However, here in the Philippines where I have retired, many millions of families can't afford a PC with licensed Microsoft Windows XP etc Sure there is Linux, but not many PC's sold with Linux installed and many don't have the knowledge and skills to do it themselves. Having said that variants such as Puppy Linux are so easy to launch from a Live CD, and pretty much auto-install everything you need to connect to the Internet, WiFi and play music and watch Video.

I guess the cost of a used PC, HDD, DVD and having TV out, or a 2nd hand 'monitor', and running free Puppy Linux, is cheaper than a used Wii Console (I paid Php8,000) and USB HDD. Any families able to afford a Wii Console, might have a PC anyway? They probably also have a DVD capable of playing MP3 also I expect?

Many Pilipino families don't have a PC or a Wii Console, but if you were to offer them a PC or a Wii Console, guess what they would rather have? The Wii Console I think you would find. They clearly don't see a need for a PC (or they would have bought one). They probably don't have an Internet connection to make full use of what a PC could offer them.

If there was a Free wiFi connection, they could use the Wii to connect to the Internet, log on to Facebook, check their email, and play games. I am sure they would also then like to use their Wii to play Music (especially if Karaoke possible) and watch video or YouTube?

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    ever heard of WiiMC?

its pretty much a media laucher like USB loader are game launchers.

http://www.wiimc.org/

3. drhookster
    OP

Newcomer drhookster Newbie

Philippines
    Hi there, thanks for the reply.

As I said I am fairly new to Wii Console and had not heard/read about WiiMC

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I did a Google search and found it on YouTube

Looking good, so will down load that and install, since it seems like it might just be the sort of Media Center with CoverArt that I was looking for.

1st impression from that YouTube video is that it is not quite as 'impressive' a carousel launcher as these USB loaders for Wii Games. No doubt these USB Loaders have 'evolved', to what they are now, and may not have been so 'flash' with all the 'themes' etc in the early releases.

I do have MPlayerCE that I installed on my Homebrew Channel from Homebrew Browser

WiiMC, Successor to MPlayer CE!

[​IMG]

WiiMC RELEASED!!! (Wii Media Center)

CURRENT VERSION: 1.0.4

Cheers!