Hardware CECHA01 (original 60GB model) Boot issue

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a 60GB model that a YLOD'd a few months ago, finally got around to fixing it (used the instructables oven method. seems legit.) anyways, been playing it pretty solid today, until this last time I went to power it on. The green light comes on like normal, but the controller wont sync, no video, no audio, and from what I can tell the fan is barely going. Is this a dead system or is there a chance I can repair it again? I'd really like to keep this one, backwards compatible and cfw 3.55.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't do another oven bake if i wear you (the caps dont like it).Much better off with a heat gun and a "No clean Flux Pen" and either a fan mod switch or connect to +3 side of power supply and run it at 12 volt (jet plain loud) but much better than having to take it apart again.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Once you experience a YLOD incident and manage to fix the system, the first thing you do is make sure that you use proper cooling. The early models suffered from overheating issues due to insufficient cooling - hence the third-party copper shins you mount on chips to improve heat spreading, paste kits and so-on.

I'm not quite sure what happened with your PS3, since it's not another YLOD... so... perhaps a professional should have a look at it. I also second the motion above - putting it in an oven is not the best of ideas - you want to heat up only certain parts of the system, not the entire motherboard...

What you need is a heatgun and some flux, either in pen or liquid form, provided that the system isn't dead. Give it a proper reflow if you think that'll do it good.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
have you tried to connect the console with other cables? for example try using the scart cable instead of the hdmi one

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've ruled out the whole video setting reset thing, actually it wont even let me do it, when you hold your finger on the power button instead of beeping again and resetting the video it just turns it off, which seems to me that its not getting further past the initial power on self test.

I was REALLY hoping someone would say "probably a power supply issue now" since thats a $30 fix.

As far as the fix, this is what I followed, and I read through it multiple times before deciding to go through with it. I used to run a Play N Trade and am still friends with our repair guy, we discussed this repair and remembered that back then we couldnt get the heat gun method to work for longer than a month or so because it warped the board.

Honestly, I've got a mcboot mem card for my ps2 still and a 500 GB HDD in it, I no longer really need the old model, but I'd like to get it working again so I can sell it (this one was a refurb on amazon, worked for about 4 months before it YLOD'd). Would like to have gotten everything off the HDD (it has a 500 GB in it as well, filled to the brim). But after all the shenanigans of this, I'm all for selling it for parts on ebay and buying a slim. Do those have nearly as many issues as the old models?

Edit: on that note, does anyone know if Gamestop takes borked systems?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1