Hacking CECH4001C - Moddable?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an ODE that works on the CECH4001C? I just picked one up at GameStop as part of their "any PS3 for $150" deal (since that has the best hard drive space and I wanted a super-slim)

From one of the sites selling the 3K3y, it says that it doesn't work with the 4xxxC models, which is concerning. Are there any others? Or should I exchange it for a different model?

(For that matter, which super-slims work with 3K3y, the 250GB one?)

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
3k3y, Cobra, E3 ODE, all advertise supporting 4k model PS3s. As far as I know, there's no major difference in superslim models that'd make some compatible and others not, but someone else might know better than me.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The QSB for 3Key does not fit on some super slim motherboards.

I guess cobra ode is the best option, here is a nice youtube video of a proper installation.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cobra ODE is also a lot more expensive... does anyone know for a fact whether 3Key works or not? I seem to be seeing mixed things - their site says it works, but some of the resellers don't. I don't want to waste $80 on a modchip just to find out it won't work.

So... all super-slims are the same motherboards, it's not just the 4xxxC models that are different?

From what I read, super-slims do require soldering while the other models don't... but other than that, what will work? I don't know the difference between the different ODEs... is there really a difference or do they all do the same thing?

Riyrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3k3y currently does not work with the C model cech4xxx, as they do not fit. They are still working on a new design for slims.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so, the C model is the 500GB... are you saying if I exchanged it for a 250GB it would fit? I could just stick a bigger hard drive in there, right?

One thing I noticed about my 4001C is that it's pretty loud, even with no disc in the drive. It's actually louder than my CECHA01, to the point where it's quite annoying.

The 3K3y works perfectly fine with no soldering in the regular slim models, right? Though I saw something about still needing firmware 3.55 to dump the drive key... so I'm a bit confused. Those refurbished consoles at GameStop will come with updated firmware (my super-slim had 4.31), so CFW is out of the question... part of why I wanted an ODE, so I can update it and go online but still play ISOs.

So basically, bottom line... should I take my CECH4001C back and get something else? If so, what? I really like the form factor of the super-slim, and the fact that the DVDs actually press onto the drive and don't have that stupid slot loader, but if they're all as loud as my 4001C, I don't think I'm going to like it. Are the slims quieter? Would a 320GB slim work with a 3Key without soldering?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.hueyandweprin.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/iStock-1073669440.jpg +1