cd-rom2 system issue

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sit back and let me tell you the epic tale of my cd-rom2 unit...
So, about a year or two ago I bought myself a cd-rom2 unit to go with my pc-engine. Unfortunately, testing the unit soon proved that it would not function properly. Googling issues for the unit gave me two main culprits, namely the gear or the caps. Since, at that time, I wasn't all that comfortable with opening the unit up to see what the issue could be, I simply put it into storage to come back to at a later time. And, well, that time was half an hour ago.

Now that that bit of nonsense is over with, I've got a problem with the unit. Opening it up it seems that the gear is all right, but, since I'm not really familiar with the looks of leaking caps, I don't know whether I need to recap the thing. Below are some pictures of the caps (and the gears for good measure), and an audio file that shows how the unit sounds when it plays an audio cd (my apologies for the background noise, but the only option I had to capture the audio was with my phone). Can anyone tell me if this could be due to leaking caps, or is it something else?

audio file

20201026_024522.jpg

20201026_024551.jpg

20201026_024601.jpg

20201026_024621.jpg

20201026_024639.jpg

20201026_024740.jpg

(The first and second to last pictures are pictures of the same caps, and it seems like there is something leaking there, but I'm not sure.)

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
caps can be bad with no physical sign. the electrolyte dries on the inside and that causes the value to change and/or drift when the unit is on.

Reactions: nasune

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
caps can be bad with no physical sign. the electrolyte dries on the inside and that causes the value to change and/or drift when the unit is on.

All right, I'm going to replace the caps then (starting with the values I happen to have already).

No matter how it looks the gear is pretty much never alright.

I know, but I've actually tested the gear twice. Once by moving the motor gear manually, and the second time by looking at the gear while it was reading a CD. In both cases it ran smoothly, so I think the gear is all right. I suspect that it might be a replacement gear because, after looking at the values, the caps don't seem to match up to recap guides found online (the uF is fine, but the voltage is too low on some of the caps). Chances are that someone has done some internal maintenance already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi