Hacking CBHC - Black screen, -3 on gamepad

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently my Wii U has just been showing a black screen with just a -3 on the gamepad after I've installed CBHC. I have been using CBHC and HBL for a good few months now, so I'm not really sure why this has started happening. If anyone could help me figure out what this error means, and how to fix it, it would be much appreciated.

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it turns out that redownloading the files for HBL didn't seem to work. The -3 is still there. Any suggestions?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So it turns out that redownloading the files for HBL didn't seem to work. The -3 is still there. Any suggestions?
Did you put them in the right place (/wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf)?
Is the filesystem not corrupted?
Is the card not defective?

If all else fails, switch the autoboot to system menu and live with 1 more click to use the HBL channel :P

Reactions: mario6754

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you put them in the right place (/wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf)?
Is the filesystem not corrupted?
Is the card not defective?

If all else fails, switch the autoboot to system menu and live with 1 more click to use the HBL channel :P

I did make sure they were in the right place, still nothing sadly.
What do you mean when you say "is the filesystem not corrupted? How would I go about fixing this if possible?
It could definitely be an issue with the card. I'm currently trying to transfer it over to a new one. I'll tell you if it works.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What do you mean when you say "is the filesystem not corrupted? How would I go about fixing this if possible?
In windows you run, in a command prompt as administrator, "chkdsk /f D:" or whatever letter (you can also do it via GUI from the drive's properties, or those "helpful" scan & fix requests - but they're more annoying to check results of)

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In windows you run, in a command prompt as administrator, "chkdsk /f D:" or whatever letter (you can also do it via GUI from the drive's properties, or those "helpful" scan & fix requests - but they're more annoying to check results of)

I tried transfering over the files, the -3 is gone, and has been replaced with a -5. Atleast I'm getting somewhere lol. What does this error mean?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried transfering over the files, the -3 is gone, and has been replaced with a -5. Atleast I'm getting somewhere lol. What does this error mean?
The relevant code is not intuitive, but I understand (probably not always correctly) that:
-3 - couldn't detect card/filesystem
-4 - filesystem mount failure
-5 - file opening error (still probably an issue with the filesystem/directory than the file contents)
-6 - failed reading the file's properties (size, date, path, attributes...)
-1 - program does not fit in memory
-2 - corrupted executable (start-of-program position not set)

@FIX94 could you confirm? :)

Reactions: AmandaRose

andot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Which version of CBHC are you installed?
If it is the CBHC 1.6, you can press HOME button on Autobooting screen, then select SystemMenu, your system will be boot up. This version of CBHC already has a buildin CFW, so you need not fw.img of mocha cfw on your sdcard, it means this version can boot up without sdcard if you select the SystemMenu as the default autoboot option.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a list of each error code

-1 : HBL related, can't open or not enough memory to open HBL elf file
-2 : HBL related, entry point not found
-3 : SD Card not found
-4 : SD card found, can't mount it
-5 : SD Card found, can mount it, can't find/read/open the file
-6 : not enough memory to open file.

Oh@Ryccardo beat me to it

Last edited by AmandaRose,

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which version of CBHC are you installed?
If it is the CBHC 1.6, you can press HOME button on Autobooting screen, then select SystemMenu, your system will be boot up. This version of CBHC already has a buildin CFW, so you need not fw.img of mocha cfw on your sdcard, it means this version can boot up without sdcard if you select the SystemMenu as the default autoboot option.

I do have 1.6 installed. But for some reason the Autobooting screen doesn't show up, but instead just shows a blank black screen and begins to load the Wii U home screen, where it just gives me the -5 error. Clicking or holding the Home button doesn't do anything.

mario6754

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for posting so often, I'm just not really sure what to do. Most people fix this problem by having CBHC boot into the sysmenu, but I can't do that, as there is no autoboot menu when I start up my Wii U, just a black screen, which is when I get the -5 error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?