Hacking Casper by giantpune

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok. I tried to boot the second version of casper. Here is my screen i get:

Made a whole movie on how i load it. iPhone 3G has crappy cam lol...

But it says IOS 254 v65281

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What steps did you take to get that file?
Sorry, but the name is obvious. (It's the name casper is looking for), and I really can't identify a file simply by it's length.

I tested with the bootmii armboot.bin renamed to bootmii_ios.bin and placed on the root of the sd, and it started up bootmii fine.
I also tested with the neek2o armboot.bin, and it started neek2o fine as well.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah sorry xD... tried that. So opened the Bootmii directory i made with Modmii and copied the file armboot.bin to the rood. Renamed it and tried again. But it did not work.

Malibran

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi

I have the same Problem how B4rtj4h likes ...
I use BannerBomb on fw 4.2 wii, i have copy armboot.bin to root and rename ist bootmii_ios.bin

If i click on SD Card icon for start bannerbomb, i have the same problem´s.
The wii restart the Systemmenü.

What wrong?
Thnak you

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
the armboot.bin from bootmii is not the same as the armboot.bin from neek. Make sure you are using the right one.

edit: they both work but accomplish different things. For example, if you're trying to load neek using the armboot.bin from bootmii it will try to launch bootmii, but if the right files for bootmii are not found, it won't do anything and just take you back to the system menu.

Using the armboot.bin from neek will look for SD:\sneek\kernel.bin and using the armboot.bin from bootmii will look for sd:\bootmii\ppcboot.elf

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually made this work on a virgin wii? I have 3 wiis that I am testing this on. Load exploit, capser loads, returns to wii channel menu. Load exploit, wiimod loads, load casper, casper loads, returns to wii channel menu. This happens on all three wiis. Now here is the bs part. Load HBC, load capser, capser loads, bootmii loads. Now more bs, load exploit, casper loads, bootmii loads every time now. Load exploit, wiimod loads, load casper, casper loads, bootmii loads everytime now.

It seems that I am unable to make casper work on any of my three wiis without first loading it via HBC. WTF. Anyone have anyone have any ideas?

I have used armboot.bin from sd:\bootmii as sd:\bootmii_ios.bin
I have used the 00000000.app from an fstoolbox dump of bootmii ios as sd:\bootmii_ios.bin
I have used cboot2 armboot.bin as sd:\bootmii_ios.bin
I have reinstalled a non patched ios53
All of these work via casper from exploit, but only after I first run casper from HBC. Before running it from HBC it fails everytime. After running it from HBC once it works everytime from exploit.

This is important to figure out because loading casper via exploit and loading cboot2 dol loader is the only way to fix "no vulnerable ios, go suck it" on a virgin 4.3 wii. But it does not work for me on virgin wii.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you can launch it from the hbc, that's not exactly a virgin wii anymore?
When you installed hbc, you probably installed bootmii as ios as well?

Casper had issues on the newest wii's as it wasn't recognising the ios versions as usable for the exploit, but that should be fixed with the latest revision of Casper.

Reactions: 1 person

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sounds to me like you are trying to use an older version on a new (no gamecube parts) wii. the old version of casper did not know about the ios versions that are coming on the cheap-o wiis. see the changelog - http://giantpune.zzl.org/casper.html . when you "reinstalled a non patched ios53" what you really did was downgrade ios53 from the version that came on your wii to an older version that casper knew about. that's why it magically worked.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it sounds to me like you are trying to use an older version on a new (no gamecube parts) wii. the old version of casper did not know about the ios versions that are coming on the cheap-o wiis. see the changelog - http://giantpune.zzl.org/casper.html . when you "reinstalled a non patched ios53" what you really did was downgrade ios53 from the version that came on your wii to an older version that casper knew about. that's why it magically worked.
No my wiis are very old. 1 boot2 bootmii, 1 3.3k kor, 1 lu64. Installing ios53 had no effect and I had it. I would not work until after it was loaded from the hbc first. I seem to have lost all my big sd cards, so I need to go pick up another 1g and do a virgin nand restore. Then I will test it again. I was using v0.3 casper. I guess it just does not like me or how I set it up. I also used modmii to setup casper up with uneek, which also failed, until casper was run from the HBC on the wii once. Try try try again I suppose.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
mauifrog, how did you make your wii virgin?? This might be the determining factor there. When I use pune ohneswartzenegger app to make a virgin nand, I can't run region changer on it without errors and it never completes. If you would like to do some real testing from a truly virgin nand dump then I can send you the virgin raffle wii dump for you to convert to your test wii's and at least then you can test it that way. Thats the only thing I can offer to help with this situation. PM me if you are interested in that dump since I can not publicly share it.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, my wii is rather lose. Since casper is now working on all 3 wiis, I will try to do a 4.3 nand restore and test again. I think r106 of ohneschwanzenegger make a propper setting.txt, worked fine last I used it, region changing and such. That is as close to putting the cherry back as I can come. I was just wondering how many virgin wiis have made this work. The setup is straight forward and I should not be having issues. Anyway, I will try try again and post back with any changes

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
edit x2: nvm, I accidentally responded to a post from page 9 thinking I was reading the most recent post from this page... anyone else notice that sometimes most recent post links don't always take you to the last page of a thread like they're supposed to? just started happening the last month or 2, starting to get on my nerves

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I got it working, sort of. After the 4.3u clean nand restore, casper loads bootmii via letterbomb without issue. Casper loads cboot2 dol loader which loads wiimod, that is good. But when I letterbomb wiimod and load casper, casper returns to the wii menu. But when I letterbomb casper to cboot2 to wiimod, wiimod loads casper and casper loads cboot2 which loads wiimod. After casper has loaded with success I can replace boot.elf as wiimod and letterbomb wiimod, then load bootmii or cboot2 via casper from wiimod, but not until I have first loaded casper with success.

It seems that a wii without updated ios53 would have to first load wadmanager and install ios53, then reconfig their sd card to exploit directly to casper. Also, I have only had luck exploiting to casper with letterbomb. Bannerbomb v2 always give me black screen, I only tried the featured version.

Regardless, exploit to casper to cboot2 to wiimod works, and from there I can casper to bootmii if desired.

Picky picky app I think

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
typically a virgin Wii needs to be updated to 4.2 or higher in order to be able to load casper without first installing an updated IOS (e.g. IOS53).

I wish I'd fully grasped all the facts about your issue and I could have helped clear this up for you sooner. I had to work out all this logic before writing ModMii's abstinence wizard. Currently, if using ModMii's abstinence wizard and you indicate your starting firmware is 4.1 or lower it will first instruct u to install a non-fakesigned IOS53 using mmm before loading casper-->neek or bootmii. If you indicate you're on 4.2 or higher then you should already have appropriate IOSs installed and casper can work without having to install any IOSs first.

As tueidj already mentioned, casper doesn't need the most recent version of IOSs (i.e. the ones that came with 4.3 or the new horizontal wii's), but anything greater than or equal to the IOSs that came with 4.2 are new enough. It works with a bunch of different IOSs, but not all, and it's preferred IOS is IOS53. Actually AFAIK it's dependent IOSs are very similar to those required for riivolution to work.

And it will work on any system menu as long as it's got updated IOS(s) installed, which you can install to any virgin wii via whatever exploit without having to update the system menu itself as well.

edit: also when I did my original testing I got casper working via BB v2

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
typically a virgin Wii needs to be updated to 4.2 or higher in order to be able to load casper without first installing an updated IOS (e.g. IOS53).

I wish I'd fully grasped all the facts about your issue and I could have helped clear this up for you sooner. I had to work out all this logic before writing ModMii's abstinence wizard. Currently, if using ModMii's abstinence wizard and you indicate your starting firmware is 4.1 or lower it will first instruct u to install a non-fakesigned IOS53 using mmm before loading casper-->neek or bootmii. If you indicate you're on 4.2 or higher then you should already have appropriate IOSs installed and casper can work without having to install any IOSs first.

As tueidj already mentioned, casper doesn't need the most recent version of IOSs (i.e. the ones that came with 4.3 or the new horizontal wii's), but anything greater than or equal to the IOSs that came with 4.2 are new enough. It works with a bunch of different IOSs, but not all, and it's preferred IOS is IOS53. Actually AFAIK it's dependent IOSs are very similar to those required for riivolution to work.

And it will work on any system menu as long as it's got updated IOS(s) installed, which you can install to any virgin wii via whatever exploit without having to update the system menu itself as well.

edit: also when I did my original testing I got casper working via BB v2
I could be wrong, but your wiimod method no worky for me. Casper for me only likes working directly from letterbomb first go, for me. so bb -> mmm -> ios 53 install -> apploader casper is not working
bb2 to casper also not working = black screen

funny thing, if I letterbomb casper a few times, it will work from apploader after.

I will try a fresh 4.1 nand and have a go wth wiimod tut, I just don't think it ill pass for me

Also fyi, whatever bb1 file wiimod gives me is no good = question mark, no work.

perhaps my wiis hate me, rather lose you know

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway