Hacking Cart slot 2nd SD card option.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, let's face it, the only reason to be using a gateway still is for cheats and for the second SD card. So I was wondering, with sixghax and current firmware is there any other solution to allow for a second SD card beyond gateway or other similar carts? Why not just buy a higher capacity SD card I hear you ask! Well because memory is stupidly expensive these days and I'm pretty sure there are capacity limits in place on the 3DS. The PSP had a large enough market for the Dual SD sticks to sell pretty well so there is a market for every console of people who want to consolidate their games into one package.

The other option, of course, is the 3DS allowing SD card swapping without ruining everything, but I'm pretty sure that's just a pipe dream.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's your question? You can't access the SD in a flashcart to install games to, or anything else really.

"with sixghax and current firmware is there any other solution to allow for a second SD card beyond gateway or other similar carts?"

The extra Sd card space afforded by the Gateway redcard SD card is invaluable, however, gateway is deprecated and locked down to 11.2, so it's not exactly useful anymore. So I asked the question above as I would love to have that SD card space back for games.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"with sixghax and current firmware is there any other solution to allow for a second SD card beyond gateway or other similar carts?"

The extra Sd card space afforded by the Gateway redcard SD card is invaluable, however, gateway is deprecated and locked down to 11.2, so it's not exactly useful anymore. So I asked the question above as I would love to have that SD card space back for games.

You can access the GW SD to run games in .3DS format only. Gatehate in the community will probably prevent anything else from happening. It would be cool to store whatever on the GW SD and access it for homebrew. Hot swappable. Kinda SD Gecko like. As for .CIA games, just use Luma for that. And you can use B9S 1.3 Luma on 11.6 and GW in dual boot with a 11.2/11.6 Hybrid Emunand that will get online and run anything in GW mode.

Last edited by mikefor20,

pokeemerald

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pke6.de
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: oxitran

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can access the GW SD to run games in .3DS format only. Gatehate in the community will probably prevent anything else from happening. It would be cool to store whatever on the GW SD and access it for homebrew. Hot swappable. Kinda SD Gecko like. As for .CIA games, just use Luma for that.

Yeah, that's what I figured, It's a damn shame too. But I was wondering if any other card that isn't hated has a similar ability to allow more space for the games.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's what I figured, It's a damn shame too. But I was wondering if any other card that isn't hated has a similar ability to allow more space for the games.

Well, you can run GW to play games in Gateway mode. Utilizing the GW SD . All current games run. And Luma to play cia games in Sys nand utilizing the internal SD. Best option for now.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually works. There is a way if you extract your Flashcart's dldi file via a .nds file, and patch a cia. See this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wood-file-manager-missing-gui.460271/

Interesting to see that someone tried to make something like this. But sadly it seems like it was abandoned and only really allows transfer from the cart SD to the system SD and not much else like game launching from cart SD for example.

Well, you can run GW to play games in Gateway mode. Utilizing the GW SD . All current games run. And Luma to play cia games in Sys nand utilizing the internal SD. Best option for now.

Yeah but GW mode won't work past 11.2 right? Does it break your sighax right? hence the loving name brickway.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: pokeemerald

pokeemerald

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pke6.de
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not really sure what that is but you still can't use the flashcart SD like another SD card to install games on
Yes, that's right!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interesting to see that someone tried to make something like this. But sadly it seems like it was abandoned and only really allows transfer from the cart SD to the system SD and not much else like game launching from cart SD for example.
Yup, it's a file transfer app.

oxitran

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the only way this could work to play either .3ds or.cia files would be 1)to use completely new homebrew that could boot straight from the GW red cart(highly unlikely). 2)use a modified version of the GW software to enable.3ds from the GWred cart. 3) have a .cia file partition on the system SD card of around 5GB that is always free, but when we choose to launch a game file from the Flash cart SD the homebrew software would transfer it to the sys SD cia folder, install the game, and launch the game, leaving the game installed and loaded in the SD until a new game is chosen. (This is themost likely method to work, but will probably never be a thing).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily