Capture Wii U Pro Controller Input

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by GaM3r2Xtreme, Jan 9, 2016.

1. GaM3r2Xtreme
    OP

GaM3r2Xtreme Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Hey Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and the time finally comes when I need to ask a question. I have an end goal to capture Pro Controller inputs in order to visually display them in a video stream. This could possibly be usable for others as well for recorders, streamers, and speedrunners. I've thought about doing a hardware solution involving soldering wires to each button and using an arduino to sample when buttons are pressed, but I feel there might be a better alternative over this.

Here's a quick run down of the research already done. I have seen programs like NintendoSpy using an arduino, but involves splicing wires. As we all know, the Pro Controller does not use a wire connection but instead bluetooth. (Quick video showcasing NintendoSpy for anyone interested.) This leads me to think wireshark might be good to use in order to sniff bluetooth traffic between the Wii U and Pro Controller to wirelessly "splice" the signals and then process that data and visually display it within a program, but I have yet to test if this is even possible to do.

My questions are as follows:
    1. Are there any other teams already trying to figure out how the controller works?
    2. Are there any teams that have already found a solution to capture the controller's inputs?
    2. Any other ideas or help anyone can give in order to accomplish this task?

Last edited by GaM3r2Xtreme, Jan 9, 2016