Capture Footage from a DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by EnigmaXtreme, Mar 19, 2011.

Mar 19, 2011

Capture Footage from a DS by EnigmaXtreme at 9:38 PM (2,013 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Does anyone know a way to capture footage from a DS/3DS, i remember seeing this camera like thing that you put on the top screen but for the life of me I cant find anyone who stocks them anymore.

Can anyone help me?

2. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Outside of being a media outlet that gets special hardware from Nintendo (at a spendy price tag, like the one based upon the original NDS Phat hardware was $3000+!) or pointing a camera at it, the only other way is to hack the hardware.

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The only affordable way that I know of to capture footage from a DS game is to use an emulator such as NO$GBA.

There is another way but it will cost quite a lot of money assuming you can even find it. It's called an IS-NITRO-CAPTURE unit and it's what Nintendo’s Intelligent Systems team use to capture images and videos from the DS. Another interesting thing about the device is that it can also output video from a DS to a television.
    http://tinycartridge.com/post/841251694/is...nd-opened-up-by

4. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    Well i dont have 3000 dollars to spare, and i realllllly dont want to use my camera....so i guess emulator it is

5. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    *sigh* ive tried using emulators and it sucks! If only there existed a cart or something that featured an av cable, hell Nintendo even just a mini usb port or something!

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    What emulator and recording software did you use?

I tried recording footage from a game running on NO$GBA and it worked fine.

7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If you have a decent emulator, you should be using DeSmuME. It's quite a bit better than using NO$GBA.

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well - when I went through my 'Scribblenaut battle' phase (such as the one below) - all I used was a Still digital camera (capable of doing movies) and a tripod

As you can see - IMHO it doesn't come out too bad - however you do get some 'lines' appear
    Scribblenaut Battle

9. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    If you must know i was trying to capture Phantom Hourglass and i found using the mouse to suck

10. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Get a drawing tablet with a built-in screen. Or just stick to using a camera on the DS screen.

EDIT: Just realized how expensive tablets are. You'll probably be able to find a laptop with a touchscreen for cheaper.