Cant upgrade to Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by 3bbb7, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I am running a legitimate copy of windows 8 and I can't upgrade. I installed the latest update that I was supposed to so the windows 8.1 upgrade showed up in the store, everything worked fine until I hit download

[​IMG]

what is wrong?

2. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    It sucks, that's what's wrong. No seriously, you should take it to Best Buy and complain to them: I'm not sure there are people on here who can help, but I could be wrong.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Yeah, don't post if you don't know what you're talking about, thanks :rolleyes:

As for your problem, is the issue with downloading the update or installing after it downloads? If it's a problem with downloading, it's most likely just a server error (as IIRC it only just officially released like...today/yesterday or something so the servers may be getting bombarded).

The Milkman likes this.
  4. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Right after i hit download it waits (does the downloading processing dots at the top) for about 30 seconds then i get that message

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sounds like a server issue then. Try waiting a couple hours, see if it works then.

6. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    There's been a quite a lot of failed Win8.1 upgrades. I had an old 8.0 VM I tried upgrading this morning...it failed as well (not that it mattered, I've had 8.1 in another VM for weeks). A lot of people commented on a news website I frequent saying they're having similar issues.

Was there an error number anywhere on the screen?

7. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    there was no error number

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It's probably a server problem. I would suggest you wait until later to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and/or restart your computer before trying again.

9. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Give it another try, it was probably a server issue. I started my upgrades about 2 hours after your post, and it worked fine on 3 PCs.