Can't remove two triwings

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by india3, Nov 28, 2008.

Nov 28, 2008

Can't remove two triwings by india3 at 7:23 AM (1,085 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. india3
    OP

Newcomer india3 Advanced Member

India
    I can't remove two triwings with a triwing screwdriver from DealExtreme. [​IMG]
    The ones I'm having problems with are the two on the right, towards the disc slot.

The screw just won't come out.
    Any help?

2. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I pressed down very firmly then turned slowly to get most of the screws out. Do not just twist a lot you dont wanna screw the screws (pun intended)

3. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I found these two the hardest to remove. Just like EoC said- a lot of downward pressure while slowly backing the screw out was what worked for me.

4. india3
    OP

India
    unfortunately, that's not working for me. no matter how i hard i press and turn, nothing happens. and i think that the screw might have a gotten a bit rounded now as well.

i've ordered another screwdriver from dealextreme, this one says big, i'll see if it works. i thought since this screwdriver i turning too easily, that it might be too small.

anybody know if it's possible to open up the wii without those screws? i almost did today, but decided to ask first...

and does anybody know if the trick with using some soft plastic to get moulded into the shape of the screw and then turning might work?

thanks.

5. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I heard that works with Gamecube screws. You take the plastic of a Bic pen and soften the tip with heat and mold it to the screw. You could try it on a Wii I suppose.

6. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think those two screws hold on the faceplate - so no, you probably won't be able to get it open without taking them out.

I didn't have any problem getting the external screws out of my Wii with the little red-handled triwing and Philips head from DX, so maybe the problem is something peculiar to your screwdriver or your screws? I did need a bigger Philips head to get the DVD drive screws out, but that's another thing entirely.

The melted pen thing might be worth a shot, although the Gamecube screws were gripped from the outside rather than turned from the middle IIRC, so it might not work as well. Be careful not to get your pen stuck to the Wii's case...

7. india3
    OP

India
    Yes, I thought so about the faceplate... though I was able to take it out partly, I decided not to push it, in case I couldn't put it back in.

I think it's something peculiar to the screw being tighter than normal or something. Maybe I should try filing away part of the screwdriver.... The screwdriver works perfectly on every one of the other screws, I tried.

I've heard that the pen thing worked with the ds and gameboy, so hopefully it'll work. I'll be trying it in a few days, if the other screwdriver doesn't arrive his week.

I have several cross screwdrivers of different sizes for the dvd drive, that shouldn't be a problem.

How would the pen get stuck to the case? Wouldn't it still be easy to take it off if it did?

My last resort would be to take it to a local repair guy, they'll think of something. I don't think a little screw can stop them.

I can't believe that after taking so much time on deciding to get a modchip, which one to buy, from where to buy, etc. the things that's holding me up is a tiny screw....