Can't reconnect my Switch Pro Controller in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mangaTom, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mangaTom
    OP

mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2010
    Your Nearest Bathroom
    Hi guys. So I've been using my pro controller on my laptop for a month now and it's a very good controller. No problem in pairing the device whatsoever. However, every time the connection is lost (ie. when I shutdown, restart or turn-off the controller) I can't seem to reconnect the controller with my laptop even if it shows that the controller is installed/"paired"(not connected). I can't seem to connect to it(controller) manually from my laptop. It really is a bother removing, adding and calibrating the device over and over again every time I want to use it. Is there any workaround about this issue? Thanks.

2. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    Yes, just press a button (not the sync button) and it connects automatically with your laptop.
    If you paired it with switch, you need to remove it and pair it again to your laptop.

Basically all switch controllers connect to the last host when pressing a button.

3. mangaTom
    OP

mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2010
    Your Nearest Bathroom
    Thanks for the reply mate. The controller does get "connected" for awhile while doing that method, however it doesn't register any inputs and get disconnected after a few seconds.

Ep8Script likes this.
  4. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    Hmm, strange.. My joycons stay connected for forever. I need to restart or disable BT or press the sync button to turn off or get far away from my crappy BT adapter to disconnect.

But this behavior is in windows 10 with Microsoft BT stack. I don't know with older versions.

EDIT:
    And the inputs are registered in the windows game controller settings

Last edited by CTCaer, Aug 2, 2017
  5. mangaTom
    OP

mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2010
    Your Nearest Bathroom
    Yeah, it is kinda frustrating. Signal wise, it's pretty good so I doubt that's the case. It's probably on the software side since it does get connected, albeit for awhile, but disconnects itself which is pretty strange. It doesn't maintain the connection and no inputs are received from the controller.

Last edited by mangaTom, Aug 2, 2017
  6. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    To be true the only way to have the best experience, especially lag wise, in any OS, is to use a custom driver for the switch controllers.

A custom driver can enable the switch style input report which is rated at 16ms for Joy-Cons and 8ms for Pro controller.
    And ofc it can keep the controller alive because it sends periodic keep alive packets.

I'll play a little with my JC toolkit, send commands that enable different input report formats and see how the windows generic driver acts

mangaTom likes this.
  7. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    Whatever I tried, the joy-cons stayed alive..

Anyway try this beta version of my tool:
    1. Pair the pro-controller
    2. Open the app
    3. Click Menu->Debug
    4. Write these to the fields: to Command: 01 , to Subcommand: 03 , to Arguments: 3F
    Check how it behaves.

If the problem is the same try these values also: 01 , 48 , 01

Warning:
    Beware what you type, because there are 2 Subcommands (I will not point them out here), that can write/erase sectors on the controller flash.
    Make a backup first!

Ep8Script and mangaTom like this.
  8. mangaTom
    OP

mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2010
    Your Nearest Bathroom
    Trying these out mate. Will report later if it's okay.

Edit: My controller still works the same. It still doesn't reconnect to my laptop after doing the said things above. Btw, the tool is pretty nice.
    Edit2: Only the second set of values makes the controller vibrate if that helps.

Last edited by mangaTom, Aug 3, 2017
  9. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    The 2nd set is enabling the HD rumble. I thought that sending a valid command would keep it alive a little more. BTW how are your BT settings? You are not in any battery save mode right?