Homebrew Can't Read MicroSD Card

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded SSB and it wanted an update. I hit "Y" to update it. I got some sort of error (I didn't bother reading the error code, unfortunately).
I got a black screen saying that an SD card is not inserted. All of my software is gone.
I tried rebooting it. Nothing. I unscrewed my N3DSXL, removed the card and put it back in nothing. I reboot it again after that, still nothing.

I'm currently copying the contents of the MicroSD card to my computer.
It's 33+ GB of data so it's taking a while. I plan on formatting the card, putting the data back and trying that.
But I figured I'd post here first to see if anyone knows what the issue is.

Yes, it's running CFW.

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is safe to format it, right? I'm worried now.
I don't want to lose my progress on Pokémon.

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even after reformatting it says "Could not detect a microSD Card. The software on the microSD Card could not be displayed."

Joelgp83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even after reformatting it says "Could not detect a microSD Card. The software on the microSD Card could not be displayed."
Could be some dust on either the sd card or the 3ds connectors.

OR....you've formatted the card wrong. It needs to be formated as FAT32 with (preferably) 32kb cluster size.

Either way, its good you've copied contents to your PC. This lets you have options if the card is indeed dying. Even if you buy a new card, copying everything back exactly how it was will let you pick up where you left off, save data and all.

Last edited by Joelgp83,

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be some dust on either the sd card or the 3ds connectors.

OR....you've formatted the card wrong. It needs to be formated as FAT32 with (preferably) 32kb cluster size.

Either way, its good you've copied contents to your PC. This lets you have options if the card is indeed dying. Even if you buy a new card, copying everything back exactly how it was will let you pick up where you left off, save data and all.
Pretty sure it was already formatted like that. Actually since it's Fat32 does that mean I can only use 32GB of space? Just seems like an odd coincidence that my 64GB microSD stopped working when it got 33GB of data on it.
I don't understand formatting at all so I apologize if that's a stupid question.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure it was already formatted like that. Actually since it's Fat32 does that mean I can only use 32GB of space? Just seems like an odd coincidence that my 64GB microSD stopped working when it got 33GB of data on it.
I don't understand formatting at all so I apologize if that's a stupid question.
Fat32 is just a type of format. It doesnt have anything to do with card space. Even if you had a 128 or 256gb card. You would be able to use what space is avilable after the format is done. If it stopped working at 33GB of data, then you may want to check the card to make sure it isnt a fake card. (one that says that its 64gb but would have half or less of stated space to actually use)

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fat32 is just a type of format. It doesnt have anything to do with card space. Even if you had a 128 or 256gb card. You would be able to use what space is avilable after the format is done. If it stopped working at 33GB of data, then you may want to check the card to make sure it isnt a fake card. (one that says that its 64gb but would have half or less of stated space to actually use)

Pretty sure it's a legit card. I'm trying to format it with guiformat but it keeps saying: "Failed to open device GetLastError()=32 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
As far as I can tell no other process should be using this card right now.

Joelgp83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Remember, there are no stupid questions, as we all have to start somewhere. :)

Now, you'd be surprised at the formatting situation sometimes. For 64gb cards, windows tends to INSIST it be formated as "NTFS" or "ExFAT" by default, so if you just rapidly went through the menus it would end up as that and the 3DS won't / cant read it.

Presuming you use Windows, you can check the format type by right-clicking the sd card in windows and selecting "Properties", and checking what it says in the "File System" entry.

If its already FAT32, then we may have deeper problems (card dying maybe).

IF it says NTFS or ExFAT, then theres your answer. Not to worry if that's the case, you'll simply need to back it up again (unless you've kept the earlier backup you made, then use that), right the sd card > click format > select "FAT32" under "file system" and "32kb" under "allocation unit size", and click start. Once its done, copy everything back, and re-insert into 3DS.

Joelgp83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, Windows must've gotten its foot stuck in your card (happens sometimes.....its not exactly a smart OS.....), and removing caused it to lose its mind. Did it Blue-Screen?

Either way, restart computer put card back in, fire up guiformat again. See if you can get anywhere with that.

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, Windows must've gotten its foot stuck in your card (happens sometimes.....its not exactly a smart OS.....), and removing caused it to lose its mind. Did it Blue-Screen?

Either way, restart computer put card back in, fire up guiformat again. See if you can get anywhere with that.
If it blue screened, I didn't see it. Sadly with my current set up my PC faces to the left instead of the same way as the monitors. I have to kneel next to my desk to plug anything in. (Don't ask)
I yanked it, I heard something shut down, I looked up, my monitors were black, then all of the sudden I saw the computer booting up. I don't get it.

Guiformat still doesn't work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Remember, there are no stupid questions, as we all have to start somewhere. :)

Now, you'd be surprised at the formatting situation sometimes. For 64gb cards, windows tends to INSIST it be formated as "NTFS" or "ExFAT" by default, so if you just rapidly went through the menus it would end up as that and the 3DS won't / cant read it.

Presuming you use Windows, you can check the format type by right-clicking the sd card in windows and selecting "Properties", and checking what it says in the "File System" entry.

If its already FAT32, then we may have deeper problems (card dying maybe).

IF it says NTFS or ExFAT, then theres your answer. Not to worry if that's the case, you'll simply need to back it up again (unless you've kept the earlier backup you made, then use that), right the sd card > click format > select "FAT32" under "file system" and "32kb" under "allocation unit size", and click start. Once its done, copy everything back, and re-insert into 3DS.
That won't work, Windows can't format cards larger than 32GB to FAT32.

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get that stupid "Failed to open device" error you have to use the regular Windows format first, then guiformat will work.
Currently loading the data to the card, which takes a very long time.

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It still isn't reading the SD card. There's one I planned on using for my Switch but it will have to do.

---
Edit

The other one isn't working, either.

Last edited by AJBauer,

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godmode9 recognizes the SD card so I don't know what the issue is.
Still, Luma, the Homebrew Launcher, and FBI are all missing.

Joelgp83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That won't work, Windows can't format cards larger than 32GB to FAT32.
True, windows' own formating options usually don't let you do that (though I've actually seen it offer it on some of my own 32gb cards....but that was at least a few years ago). Other programs in windows can, however. Guiformat was mentioned as one. Heck, Wii Backup Manager should be able to pull it off as well....if he wants to pop into the wii forums and grab that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool