Can't mount PS3ISO from NTFS

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by gunner007, Feb 21, 2014.

1. gunner007
    OP

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    So been pulling my hair out the last couple of days over this and don't understand why.

I am running Rogero 4.46 with COBRA 7 integrated.
    Running latest MMcM

Copy game to PS3ISO folder, launch MM and I see game, but launching gives me the "This is not a valid PS3ISO file"

However, if I format the drive as FAT32 and put the game on it, it loads perfectly fine! Something about NTFS it didn't like. I was under the impression that you could mount NTFS fine with the hybrid firmware.

Any thoughts?

2. Bobbybangin

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    Are you sure it's in iso format?

3. gunner007
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Yep. I originally tested it using a small game, and used MM's option to create ISO. If I copy this to a FAT32 USB drive, I can launch the ISO no problem.
    If I format said drive to NTFS and open MM, I see the game listed, but when attempting to launch it, I get the "This is not a valid PS3ISO format". Same exact file. Just when on NTFS, it decides not to work.

Also, it shows it as dev_hdd0/temp/wttemp.... not sure if that means anything.

4. cinhomartins

cinhomartins Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Brazil
    Things to consider:

1. Dont plug more than 1 HD;
    2. If HD has multiple partitions make sure NTFS is the FIRST primary partition;
    3. Many HDs bigger than 2TB are reported NOT working with NTFS and fine with FAT32 and split files...

5. gunner007
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I tried those already. The drive itself is 2TB. but even tried with 16GB flash stick. If I split the ISO over my 2TB FAT32, it works perfectly fine. If I format the drive as NTFS and put the ISO on it, it just gives the invalid PS3 ISO format error.

6. cinhomartins

cinhomartins Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Brazil
    Bummer...

Did you dowloaded the ISO or extracted it yourself? You could try downloading from another source or creating it with genPS3ISO. I read somewhere that other apps created a non valid header-or-what-is-it-called.

Or you could try using Simple NTFS Mounter instead of MM.

7. gunner007
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Made it myself via disc. Tried it with another game and no dice. If I put the ISO on my FAT32 drive, I can mount it just fine and I'm off playing. If I throw it on a NTFS drive and try to launch via MM, it just gives the "This is not a compliant PS3 ISO" and kicks back to the XMB.

Looks like I might just have to live with FAT32 for the time being.

I tried Simple NTFS mounter, it doesn't give an error when selecting the ISO, but it never mounts it so I can't launch :(

Edit: I made it with the Cobra tools (the one you linked)