Can't install windows 10 in UEFI mode

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by jDSX, Feb 17, 2016.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    My computer came with stock windows 8, here is my problem: I have to boot in legacy mode for newer OSs (win8.1, 10 etc) I cannot boot any of them in UEFI, I get the message that bootmgr is missing even though I clean installed with my windows 10 installation which forces me to turn on legacy mode in my bios to boot into my OS. I did wipe the original windows8 in the past with win7. Now I need to upgrade to 10.

Is there any way to boot into uefi with secure boot since I deleted the original windows 8 with a new fresh install of windows 10? Would I need to format the HDD in order to correct the error of bootmgr missing?

2. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    Well i would say wipe the hard drive, it should be formated in GPT format for UEFI mode to work. If its in MBR then its normal that UEFI boot doesn't work.

3. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    How do I format it in GPT exactly? Because I tried installing windows with rufus GPT partition and it didn't work I am booting in legacy mode on windows 10 *facepalm* currently.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Use Gparted on a live USB and create a new partition table, one of the options should be GPT. Once that finishes, make sure you disable legacy mode in your BIOs, then try installing Windows 10 again in UEFI mode.

5. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    That reminds me can I use gparted while in linux on live usb drive to format it? I have mint on usb with gparted can I use it through linux or separate?

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sure, you can do that too, they're the same thing.

jDSX likes this.
  7. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Thank will try that.

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    A GPT formatted drive is necessary for EUFI mode, but I also found that SecureBoot may interfere in the installation process, so you may want to disable that in BIOS before you begin. Feel free to re-enable it afterwards.

You can convert MBR to GPT too. The easiest way would be using diskpart with the "convert gpt" command, but there do exist a couple methods for converting it without losing any of your data. Here's a link: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Huh, can't say I've ever heard of GPTGen. Interesting, that would make things a lot easier on myself in the future ._.

10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    From the screenshot it doesn't look easy, but at least knowing there are tools available makes the IT techie world a bit easier.

11. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States