Can't detect USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by maxwolfie, Sep 6, 2010.

Sep 6, 2010

Can't detect USB drive by maxwolfie at 4:00 AM (3,845 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. maxwolfie
    OP

Newcomer maxwolfie Newbie

Australia
    OK, I've followed the auto-generated config guide from ModMii 4.2.4, on a black 4.3e console (with no downgrade - i.e. staying at 4.3).

Finished everything (except the "forwarder channel" bit - I have NO idea what the guide is talking about here) but now my USB drive will not detect. To be honest I have never tried to use either USB ports prior to modding, but one would assume that they would almost certainly work from factory. When I go to the USB Loader in the menu, it says that I need to insert a USB device (or similar), but it is already connected. Does the same for both ports. Works fine in the PC. Does it for FAT32 and WBFS.

Any ideas? I assume this has got to do with the "forwarder channel" part, as it's directly related to the usbloader bit in the guide. Makes no sense though.

Oh, and a small semi-related issue: I can't copy *.iso files to my USB drive while it is FAT32 (no space - but there is). I assume this has to do with the allocation unit size, though changing this setting to anything at all makes no difference. Have also been fiddling with WBFS Manager. Yes, it is a "thumb drive". 8gb.

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    use Wii backup manager for managing your USB drives

can you post the generated guide so i can see what it says?

you should be using the port closest to the edge by the way. [port 0]

[​IMG]

3. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    Cheers, here is the guide.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Note the bold/italic text. That's the part that I don't understand.

I believe that either port is not working.

EDIT: Also, if I load USB Loader, it will load into a black screen and display some sort of intro splash screen for about 0.2 second, and then restart the Wii and load the normal system menu.

4. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    Bump - Anyone got any ideas? [​IMG]

Have tried two flash drives, none of which seem to "detect" with USB loader. I imagine that it is an issue with the software though, as I mentioned before - If I try and load USB Loader without anything connected, it will just restart the Wii. This seems strange to me.

5. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    The text that you've bolded are not instructions for you, but is rather just a note to you.
    It's saying that it will load the USB loader through whichever path it finds first (you may notice on your USB that you have a folder called "apps" and inside is "usbloader_cfg". This is where the USB Loader is stored and is loaded from.

If you have "fake" USB flash drives, that may be the problem.
    If not, try to borrow a friend's working HDD / USB and see if it works. If it doesn't, there may be some sort of hardware problem with the Wii.

6. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    Neither of the flash drives are fakes - They are both 100% working and have been for quite some time.

Do you mean, on my SD Card? There is nothing on the USB drive... But I would have thought it would at least "found" it (i.e. detected that it was physically inserted)

EDIT: I just plugged in a USB laser mouse (both ports). The red LED works, so power is at least going to the USB ports. Less chance of a hardware issue?

7. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Hang on ----

When you used modMii - did you run it again but select the 'U - USB Setup + guide' on the main screen ???

Until you so this you can't 'see' a USB HDD

The first guide (what you've shown) is only for softmodding the Wii, adding Priiloader & HB Channel - it doesn't include the USB modding. When you run modMii again you should end up with a 'usb-loader' folder on the root of the SD card

Oh & as for the 'USB Forwarder channel' - here's a quote from the man who made ModMii - XFlak

8. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    hes got some cios's in there, so he should be good. what loader are you using? if its usb loader gx, that is possibly your problem.

use wii backup manager for pc, format your drive to be fat32 (32k clusters if you can do that), and copy some games to it. it should work fine.

then get cfg usb loader for the wii.

9. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    OK, I've just loaded USB Loader GX - with the easy, preconfigured type windows installation onto my SD Card. After a bit of fiddling around I have it working! I only have it working on WBFS file system though.. My last efforts with FAT32 proved fruitless, and I ended up having to cmd -> diskpart -> clean the damn partition off the USB drive just to get it working properly again!

Seems strange, now when I load "USB Loader" from the Wii system menu (next to Homebrew Channel) it will load the USB Loader GX GUI...Even though the actual icon says "Please insert a USB drive" before I load it/click it? Anyways it works.... Maybe that's what it needed (GX installed) all along?

EDIT: Side question - How do I go about making my Wii "brick proof", and how do I go about ensuring that I won't have to borrow the Indiana Jones game from the DVD store again?

Cheers for your assistance in advance [​IMG]

10. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    As for your 'Brick-proof' question
    - If you have done a NAND backup & have BootMii installed correctly (as said in the guide) -
    If you do happen to brick the Wii then on powerup you should still be able to run Bootmii and reload the NAND backup.
    (Bootmii will be those 4 icons you'll see on powerup before you see the usual 'Health Warning - Press [A]' screen)

You would then have restored the system back to when you made the NAND backup (you WILL lose all your saves stored in Wii memory though - so remember to back them up regularly)

Think of the NAND backup as a 'Disk Drive Image/Copy' and BootMii being a 'Boot disk'

11. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    I did a NAND backup (as recommended) which is now saved on my PC at home [​IMG] So once in BootMii (I.e. the little program that is run by holding down Reset and powering on), I assume there's a "Load NAND to Wii" option in there.. I remember an icon that had an SD Card with an arrow to/from a chip.. I assume that this is the Load/backup NAND option.. In the case of bricking, I can load into BootMii and do this, yes? And once the original NAND is loaded, I assume that I will have a completely fresh, virgin Wii again. How do I then go about re-modding it WITHOUT the Indiana Jones game?

Thanks for your patience.

12. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    maxwolfie
    See above - once you restored the NAND your Wii is Softmodded

One last thing - now that you have your Wii 'softmodded' with all the USB support etc (& working) - I recommend you do another NAND backup (just use the guide again to create another NAND - just place it on your PC in another folder/directory) - this way IF you do brick it you can use this NAND backup & restore the Wii back with all the USB support, whereas the original NAND has only the Softmodding files included

13. maxwolfie
    OP

Australia
    Thanks mate, I appreciate your help. I will do another NAND backup.

Still confuses me a little bit that the USB Loader did not work in the first instance (as it's part of the package), but whatever - It works now!