Can't decide between Arm9loaderhax and Menuhax!?!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by perspex, Jul 23, 2016.

1. perspex
    OP

perspex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    India
    Hey guys, I just recently got into the 3ds hacking scene and successfully modded my o3ds with menuhax and luma3ds with coldbooting and all that jazz and i'm loving the heck outta it.

In fact i liked it so much i went ahead and ordered a new 3ds xl(black) and its coming in a few days(YAYYYYY!). Now im just torn between whether to use the arm9loaderhax or should i just continue using the menuhax like i did on my o3ds.

I know this is dumb to ask and its upto me to decide, but i still want an opinion! cos this arm9loaderhax looks solid AF! but what if it becomes patched or obsolete later on, I won't even have a stock fw anymore.

The whole installation method also seems much more complicated and risky for arm9loader but if its actually worth all the hubbub, im willing to do.

So far my main needs to playing roms and online is fulfilled with menuhax, but the 100% boot rate and stuff is tempting too.

I'm so confused, enlighten me O great 3ds masters.

2. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    if you want only to play games use menuhax with luma

Wafflepaint likes this.
  3. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    A9LH will probably never be patched.

If you're willing to do it, then absolutely do it.

Last edited by Fazana, Jul 23, 2016
  4. PagaN

PagaN GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Cuba
    menuhax with luma.

Wafflepaint likes this.
  5. ZoNtendo

ZoNtendo GBAtemp Fan

May 25, 2015
    A9LH>Menuhax

6. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Please do not state that as fact. It is possible to stop as devs have pointed out before, its difficult to take down but not impossible.

Darkyose, kineticUk and Wafflepaint like this.
  7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    As it's going to be your second console and possible end up as your main console, you could take your time and setup Arm9loaderhax as that is the superior hack.

Menuhax is not as bad as people on here make out through, ninjhax 2.7 with no debug colors or text boot's pretty much 99% of the time on my mum's original 3DS, it's very rare that fails.

If you have the time go with Arm9loaderhax, if not Menuhax will do fine until you have more time.

Catastrophic and Wafflepaint like this.
  8. opmas

opmas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    I can play all the games that I want with Menuhax. If you still want to keep your stock fw then menuhax is best for you. IMHO.. I do not find anything special yet on A9LH :) But it's just me. You can still go for it if you want to try :)

9. masskiss

masskiss Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2016
    United States
    Seems I'm even noob-er than you. From what I've seen on Plailect guide, you'd have to use both anyway? I haven't actually gotten that far yet, I'm stuck on the Browserhax thing (Part 1).

10. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    A "probably" in there probably would've done some good, you're right. *Quickly edits*
    Statement still stands, though. Definitely worth the time, given the effort.

11. perspex
    OP

perspex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2016
    India
    What does only play games mean....what extra thing can i do with the arm9 that i cant do with menuhax and luma3ds? This is the stuff i exactly wanna knowwwww

12. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Arm9loader is an amazing mod but it certainly is not bulletproof. You still need to proceed with caution with each passing firmware update and always make a backup. Thats the best anyone can do.

The day it ever does get patched we may all have to go back to 9.2 (or stay at 11.0) and stick with emuNAND.

Wafflepaint likes this.
  13. Roboman

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    About as possible as Menuhax being patched.
    Nintendo would need to somehow execute an arm9 exploit to take back control of the system from the CFW, then somehow swap the cfw for latest stock firmware. Hardly even worth talking about really, beyond infeasable.

Benifits of a9lh also include:
    No risk of losing cfw by updating sysnand.
    No need to double install dsi ware and gba vc.
    Perfect boot rate miliseconds slower than stock. (Vs Menuhax which is about 15 seconds slower)
    And soon (TM) booting without an sd card.

Raylight and Shadowfied like this.
  14. Ironknight

Ironknight GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2016
    Gambia, The
    You can have a CFW in your NAND, updated sysnand with A9LH (ver. 11 with hax), brick proofing, arm9 access before boot of OS, boot animations and more!

15. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I believe booting without SD card has been possible for Arm9loader users. I've been lazy with updating my arm9loader firmware but the devs in #3DShacks can confirm an update has allowed you to run without SD.

Dont forget to add restoring a backup without a hardmod, thats a super important benefit for arm9loader users.

16. TheGreek Boy

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    yes my o3ds xl boot without sd

17. Roboman

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    Yeah. But is it in the stable release branch yet? I wouldn't recommend any other branch to non-hardmod users.

Edit

@perspex how often to you cold boot your console? Do you plan on using dsi ware or gba vc? These are the main advantages a9lh has over Menuhax for the end user.

Last edited by Roboman, Jul 23, 2016
  18. TheGreek Boy

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    i'm using this since it was posted on reddit. i have to say it's very stable

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  19. Ironknight

Ironknight GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2016
    Gambia, The
    For me too, its stable af. Also, CFW in the NAAAANNNDDD

TheGreek Boy likes this.
  20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Once you have your OTP you'll always be able to (re)install A9LH, getting OTP however won't be possible on the latest firmware once they block the hardmod/DSiWare downgrade methods. The exploit itself isn't patchable without a new hardware revision but without OTP it won't do much good.