1. MikaDubbz

OP MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Alright so I'm trying to do a little hacking of a particular Wii U title: The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia. If you're unaware, this was an official release of the Hyrule Historia book as an app for the Wii U. It's the full book setup in a way for the Wii U to read. I realized that if we could get in the code and edit each page we could essentially create a Wii U manga/comic/novel viewer, especially if we were to use SDCafiine, and have different mods (or books in this case) to select and then each mod would display a different book depending on which one you selected.

Now, I know the route to go for this: get the install files for Hyrule Historia via the Wii U USB Helper. From there, I used Cdecrypt to unpack the install files. From the created content folder, I explored that, and found an assests folder, from there, you enter a folder labeled textures, and it becomes very clear that you're looking at the individual pages of the book. There are files labeled from 1.gtx all the way through 284.gtx. Seems to me that if I can just edit or replace these files, I'd be able to change how the virtual book appears in the Wii U as I please. Problem is you can't straight up load and edit a .gtx file. So looking into it, it seemed the solution was to convert the .gtx file to .dds, at which point I can edit the file in photoshop (have the plugins and everything for .dds in photoshop, have edited many of those for Sm4sh in the past). Problem, is, even though there are a small handful of apps/scripts made from the Wii U scene over the years that are supposed to convert .gtx to .dds, none of them seem to properly work for me. I've tried the gtx extractor, TexHaxU, GTX2DDS, and convertGTX.bat, but none of these seem to work. Looking into it, I've found that apparently not all .gtx files are created the same and I guess they can't all be converted the same way. Still in the off-chance that that this can work and I'm just missing something, I'd really appreciate any help anyone could lend to me on the subject.

And before anyone gets at me, yes I'm aware we could just instead view comics, manga, etc. on the Wii U via the internet browser or in an older vWii homebrew. But this is more something I want to do just to be able to say I did it. If it can't be done, at the end of the day, not the biggest loss, but I see potential here for something a little neat, and I'd love to be able to get it working properly if possible.

2. MikaDubbz

OP MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Here is an example .gtx file, can anyone successfully convert this to .dds and then open and view it in photoshop? It seems like it should be possible, but I'm just not being able to make it happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - convert, files,