Can't choose between Doom 1 or Doom 2

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Boy12, Apr 3, 2013.

Apr 3, 2013
  1. Boy12
    OP

Member Boy12 NOT a new member!

Netherlands
    Ok, so i just bought Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition, and i have 400 MSP left, and i wanna buy a Doom game, but should i buy Doom 1 or Doom 2? Thank's in advance!

2. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Inb4 "Why not both?" Meme

I'd say go with Doom 1. Both are classics, but the first game in a series is usually the best place to start. Anyways, if you ever get more MS points, you can buy Doom 2 later, and have played the series chronologically. At least, that's my opinion.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    ^its actual, why not zoidberg

anyway my suggestion is neither
    get doom collectors edition for the pc instead (which ever means you want to go by obtaining it)

4. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Doom 1 is my all time favourite in the series go for it!

5. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Doom 2 is better, go for it!

6. Boy12
    OP

Member Boy12 NOT a new member!

Netherlands
    I just bought both of them (with an extra msp card worth 400 points) for the sake of nostalgia!

7. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    i wud have gotten some add-ons or indie games

8. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

Wrong.

I'd say Doom 1. I greatly prefer that over Doom 2, which is still baller.

I love that classic E1M1 music from Doom 1 :3

9. Nemesis90

Member Nemesis90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Doom 1 has better flow and level design, Doom 2 has more weapons/monsters/mod support. They are both fantastic in their own right. Stay away from the classic collection since they butchered the super secret levels in Doom 2.

10. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I'd have to recommend playing the Doom games on PC, actually. I may be perpetuating a never-ending debate by saying so, but in my experience, DOOM controls far better with a mouse than with a controller, especially considering how fast-paced the gameplay is. Using the mouse to aim is fluid, precise, and is incomparably tactile. On PC, the games' controls quickly become an extension of your thoughts. It's buttery smooth, man! :O

Of course, if you're unable to get the games on PC, that's A-okay. The controls of the XBLA versions aren't too much of a concession, and unless you've played them on PC before, I suppose you won't know what you're missing! :P

Anyway, if you're new to the classic DOOM franchise or are aren't well-acquainted with shooters, you may be better starting out with good ol' DOOM 1 for XBLA. As Chary said, playing a game series in order is generally a good idea, particularly in the case of DOOM. While the second game isn't radically different from the first, it often seems catered toward those who've already played through the first game, with levels that are larger and more intricate than its predecessor.

However, if you're confident in your first-person shooter prowess and don't care much for playing franchises in order, getting DOOM 2 might be a good idea. The game is essentially a leaner, meaner DOOM, and the online multiplayer features are considerably more robust.

Regardless of your decision, I think you'll find the game to be more than worthwhile!

(Y'know, after reflecting on the huge wall of text I made, perhaps you're better off not thinking too hard about your choices, like I often do :P)

11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Doom 2 is far superior to Doom 1 in my opinion.

12. Nemesis90

Member Nemesis90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Doom's control scheme was originally designed with only a keyboard in mind, so there really is minimal change in how you will fare with a controller. I won't argue that PC is the best platform for the games based on the community mods alone, but i would rather respect the OP's decision.

geoflcl likes this.
  13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    "why not both" isnt a meme though

14. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Doom 1 simple as that

15. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Doom 64 is better then Doom 1 + 2.
    Some may say that I'm crazy or a Nintendo fanboy, but the level design, graphics, and amazing sound/music (you get an actual scary sci/fi score done by the master Aubrey Hodges , instead of that crappy midi pseudo rock midi music that is bound to get on your nerves after five minutes ) make for the best classic Doom experience for any system.
    If you have a PC there is actually a pretty faithful port of Doom 64 called Doom64 EX
    that you can play in high resolution at silky smooth 60 fps with k/mouse or even an xbox360 controller !

I'd highly recommend you to start there ( and end it there ;) )