Can't back up games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by ragnamuffin, May 4, 2016.

1. ragnamuffin
    OP

ragnamuffin Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2008
    I know there are a ton of threads on this subject and I've looked at as many as I could find, but nothing seems to be working and I'm just about at wit's end...

My setup is a Black NTSC-J Wii v4.3J and 600GB WD HDD. I've also tried using a 64GB Toshiba USB flash drive as well. I was following this guide (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/) up to the end of Step 4 before I realized it was outdated and that there was no need to install DIOS MIOS. I switched to the CompleteSoftmodGuide and installed cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta53-alt and cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52 with the d2x installer.

When I try to backup my games, the loaders all hang or freeze (I've tried USB Loader GX, CFG USB Loader and Wiiflow). I got Wiiflow to rip Arc Rise Fantasia once, but now it hangs all the time. I tried CleanRip and got it to rip Arc Rise Fantasia and Earth Seeker, but now it too throws an error all the time. I've run sysChecker and tried to update through ModMii, but all the WADs it downloads are invalid (I've tried 3 times).

I have about 40 games I'd like to put on my HDD and I really don't want to scour the net for ISOs. What do?

sysCheck

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I use CleanRip to rip the games to an SD card then copy them to my HDD with Wii Backup Manager. Flash drives are iffy as to whether they work on a Wii or not and especially writing. You didn't say what kind of enclosure your HDD is using but it could be the same issue.

I'm not sure why you have 249 as alt d2x and 250 as normal but that shouldn't be causing the problem. The alt one is only necessary if you need to use the second USB port for a storage device.

3. ragnamuffin
    OP

ragnamuffin Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Is your SD card NTFS or FAT32?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by enclosure, but it's a Western Digital Passport, one of the older models that looks like a book.

I installed the cIOS like that because that was what was written in the CompleteSoftmodGuide, but if there's a better setup, I would be willing to reinstall them to see.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I always use FAT32 for the console's SD slot since everything supports it. I have one "run" card with homebrew I use all the time like loaders and one "maintenance" one with stuff like CleanRip, MMM, etc. on it.

My drive enclosure also has a few issues with large writes from IOS58 so I copy discs to SD then put them on the HDD on my PC. When trying to rip to HDD it will run for about a minute then freeze.

5. ragnamuffin
    OP

ragnamuffin Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2008
    Thank you GreyWolf!!! CleanRip seems to like the SD card and so far (fingers crossed) has been working beautifully.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Good to hear! It's a lot slower method but at least it works.

ragnamuffin likes this.