Hacking Cannot get SMB3 VC working?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Weird just try extracting a fresh copy, you might of messed it up putting headers and such in, start with a fresh copy and see if the issue persists

GQ. Is there any way of running a fix on the M-SD cards?. Somehow my card has corrupted so any roms I put on it are not fragmenting properly which is causing an error or something like that. I either need to try and fix it or I will have to do a complete format on it which I don't really want to do cause I will then have to go through 45 roms including the headers etc.. and start of scratch which is a rite ball ache in my opinion!!!. Got any ideas for me bud? :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
GQ. Is there any way of running a fix on the M-SD cards?. Somehow my card has corrupted so any roms I put on it are not fragmenting properly which is causing an error or something like that. I either need to try and fix it or I will have to do a complete format on it which I don't really want to do cause I will then have to go through 45 roms including the headers etc.. and start of scratch which is a rite ball ache in my opinion!!!. Got any ideas for me bud? :)
Hmmm not sure, all I can suggest is copying them all off then formatting and copying them back.....it's very unlikely everything would just be corrupt unless the micro SD is failing or fake, generally you can get corruption on the way in or the way out but not whilst it's on, one thing I wanted to check is have you trimmed ANY of the card2 games, I think this can cause issues as the gateway card still writes the save as if it wasn't trimmed which can lead to other data on the SD being overwrote with the save from the game you trimmed effectively making it corrupt,

Just try copy them all off format and copy them back(just give them all a quick test once it's done and re copy any that aren't working, also make sure you don't have any of the Virtual console games trimmed or Pokemon/animal crossing......if you want to avoid any issues like this always make sure in 3dsexplorer that the game isn't card2 before trimming,

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm not sure, all I can suggest is copying them all off then formatting and copying them back.....it's very unlikely everything would just be corrupt unless the micro SD is failing or fake, generally you can get corruption on the way in or the way out but not whilst it's on, one thing I wanted to check is have you trimmed ANY of the card2 games, I think this can cause issues as the gateway card still writes the save as if it wasn't trimmed which can lead to other data on the SD being overwrote with the save from the game you trimmed effectively making it corrupt,

Just try copy them all off format and copy them back(just give them all a quick test once it's done and re copy any that aren't working, also make sure you don't have any of the Virtual console games trimmed or Pokemon/animal crossing......if you want to avoid any issues like this always make sure in 3dsexplorer that the game isn't card2 before trimming,

Thanks GQ,

None of the games are trimmed on the card 100% for sure, you cannot with a 64GB, I think, its exfat format only option, also the card is a legit San-Disc 64GB Mobile Ultra I got from MyMemory.co.uk so its not a fake and I have only had it a matter of 2 months now. What I think I did was accidentally defrag the card the other day, I was defragging the laptop hard drive and I think I had the M-SD card plugged in the laptop at the time I did it and of course I highlighted all the drives in windows defrag as I normally always do but forgot the M-SD card was plugged in the side slot of the laptop so it got defragged, would that of coursed the problem???, what would defragging the M-SD card even do to it?. I will try and put all games back on the PC excluding VC games etc.., do a complete format on it and put games back on and hope that is the solution to it else last resort its the M-SD Card itself but I find that hard to believe. All the games that are on the card previous work 100% fine but you cannot put another game on it now without the black error screen popping up, so why is this happening now?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm not sure it's possible the defrag has done something to it, just copy everything off, format and copy it back on, hopefully it will all be fine then

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure it's possible the defrag has done something to it, just copy everything off, format and copy it back on, hopefully it will all be fine then

The card is shot m8, I went through a format and then it stopped and would not format and the card has now just locked but what frustrates me the most is this is the second card that has gone the same from MyMemory.co.uk, the first Transcend 64GB had to go back with the same issue. Is it something to do with using high end cards like 64GB and above on Gateway?. Anyway I shall send it back for the second time and get a refund and go else where but look if anyone is reading this do not order from MyMemory.co.uk if you are going to use it with a Gateway card!. I need suggestions for a good retailer in the UK!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm just using a cheapo 32gb card I got from currys which is working fine so far, I did have another one the same but misplaced it somewhere....I have forgot what brand it was, but it was pretty cheap, about £16 iirc

I like the old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" so I just stick to a 32gb

I did originally get a samsung 64gb, and that packed in after about 3 weeks just at random I had been using it with XBMC on the raspberry pi while I waited for multi rom to be released, when multi rom was finally out I went to format and boom....failed and stopped showing up in the PC, it was a legit card too.....starting to think the 64gb+ cards are just prone to failure

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just using a cheapo 32gb card I got from currys which is working fine so far, I did have another one the same but misplaced it somewhere....I have forgot what brand it was, but it was pretty cheap, about £16 iirc

I like the old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" so I just stick to a 32gb

I did originally get a samsung 64gb, and that packed in after about 3 weeks just at random I had been using it with XBMC on the raspberry pi while I waited for multi rom to be released, when multi rom was finally out I went to format and boom....failed and stopped showing up in the PC, it was a legit card too.....starting to think the 64gb+ cards are just prone to failure

I think I might just have to stick with 2x32gb cards for a safe bet on the next order, its probably the fact a 64gb card just cannot handle running all that sort of info and it just packs up! I wonder if others have had similar issues with 64gb cards and also if GW knows about this??? :unsure:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well I don't think it's down to gateway, the Samsung I had, had only been.used in the raspberry pi, I think it's just the usual crap quality when stuff first gets affordable the reliability goes crap for a while

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a strong possibility that the defrag you did could have had an impact on the longevity of the card. The reason that defragging flash memory is not supposed to be defragged has to do with the amount of reads/writes done during the process. Flash memory life expectancy is usually measured in total reads/writes. Each time the defragger moved data from one cluster to another, that's another r/w taken off the life expectancy. Unlike a regular hard drive using magnetic disks, flash memory aren't really designed to efficiently access data that is not stored in contiguous space. That's why Gateways spit out the Fragmentation Error when a file is fragmented on the mSD and the recommended solution is to backup and format.

Honestly, I think a single 32 GB card should be more than enough space for everyday use. I have a Sandisk 32 GB mSD and I can fit 40+ games on it. The most I've ever fit on it was 65 games, although that was a mix of AAA titles and lightweight budget titles. There really isn't a need to have more than 30-40 games on hand at a single time, as that leads to TMGS (Too Many Games Syndrome), which I constantly run into when loading up my DSTWO that also has a 32GB mSD in it and hundreds of games for DS/GBA/GBX/SMS/GG/NES/PYT/YMCA/etc. :P

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I don't think it's down to gateway, the Samsung I had, had only been.used in the raspberry pi, I think it's just the usual crap quality when stuff first gets affordable the reliability goes crap for a while

I had my 2nd Mobile San-disc 64gb come through the post again today bud, just wanted to let you know. I could not get a refund as they had to send another out but anyway I tested it with the h2testw app. and it came out 100% fine but already I feel its going to go faulty on me because you need to keep popping it in and out of the reader and also the SD Adapter included to get it to format! else it just wont complete. I have formatted it with SD-Formatter on full erase and I'm putting my roms back on as I write this but I have no faith in the card whatsoever and I feel giving it about 2 weeks again and it will have to go back, I just know it :(

This is the img of the box it came in, is it a legit 64gb san-disc box. It says made in Taiwan on the label on the back:-
dmv8yu.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.