Hacking cannot charge DSI xl in vietnam?

kleptodathief

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know why i cannot charge the dsi XL in vietnam, it has the regular american/cdn plug receptacle 220v in the wall it says

but i cant get any charge on the dsi official charger
the charger is ac adapter wap-002 usa
class 2 power supply
input ac120v 60Hz 7w
output: dc 4.6v 900mA

anyone have any ideas? thanks

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Just hope it fried your power supply and not your DSi you cant just plug an American unit into a foreign power socket with 220v without damage to something
if you want to charge it there get a local charger unit or buy a usb power cord

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Uhm...if the mains in Vietnam is 220V and your charger's input is 120V you really shouldn't plug it in or you will burn out the charger. The voltage is too high for the charger to handle and the frequency (or current) is 50Hz in Vietnam compared to 60Hz in USA so the current is too low for the charger as well.

I also find it hard to believe that they use the same wall socket, 220V is a significantly higher voltage and 50Hz means the charge sticks around longer so surely the wall socket would have a 3rd pin for Earth for safety reasons (I'm working off my knowledge of the UK mains which is 230V 50Hz and therefore needs an earth pin for safety) Actually, never mind they do use the same connector in South Vietnam. How very unsafe.

kleptodathief

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^dam i hope my dsi XL is fine , i think it still works but as soon as i turn it on it, the light is red and it shuts off after couple seconds

i might have to charge my XL via a usb cable to laptop? my laptop charges fine here, so does my cell phone, i guess the XL is picky about voltage/wattages?

i was reading this info here

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_...pic_id=26163765

it dpends on the house here in vietnam, some have the same american wall outlets and the other native 2 holes only , some houses have BOTH types

so if i can get a working 110v wall receptacle, it will work?

the house im staying at now has only 220v regular american wall, but the 110v wall is OUT Of order(not working)
frown.gif

i try to find a usb cable that works with my laptop --> XL but i dont think they have video games stuff here in vietnam

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, just use USB charge. Some electrical sockets don't work with American plugs, while others do. I could recharge my DSL Where I was staying for the Summer, But could not at a Hotel.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
kleptodathief said:
i might have to charge my XL via a usb cable to laptop? my laptop charges fine here, so does my cell phone, i guess the XL is picky about voltage/wattages?
Your Laptop charger obviously accepts a wider range of voltages whereas the DSi charger only accepts one (which in this case is 110V) Looking at my UK DS charger and comparing it to my PSP charger the DS charger will only accept 230V, 50Hz mains (UK standard) while my PSP charger will accept 100-240V and 50 or 60 Hz so all that changes between regions is the connector. Your DSi is likely fine but your charger may be fried
closedeyes.gif

kleptodathief

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the XL and regular DS uses the SAME usb cable cord? or its different type sockets? i know the DS lite cannot use the same XL charge adapter

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, sorry to confuse you. I was using my DS charger as an example.
The DS uses the same connector as a GBA SP, the DSLite has its own connector and the DSi and DSi XL have their own connector. You need a DSi USB charger cable or a Vietnam DSi charger.
You need something like this CLICK HERE

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kleptodathief said:
the XL and regular DS uses the SAME usb cable cord? or its different type sockets? i know the DS lite cannot use the same XL charge adapter
They don't. BUt still, I've lost one DSi charger in India when I tried to plug it into an outlet. The reason everything else works is because it can handle it. Look at the input rating on the chargers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A quick search does not drum up a DSi charger pinout and I lack a cable here or I would do it myself but should you get a pin out you could just as easily splice one together using any old USB lead you scavenged from anything.

Granted for the DS and DS lite:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#auxsou...terypowersupply
USB pinout
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
Red is 5V and black is ground (0V)- do note that while most people conform to this spec I have had a couple of sacrifice cables I purchased use odd colours.

Once you have the pinout for the DSi connector then it is trivial.

Exceptionally crude way and one I do not suggest is to wire into the internal terminals themselves.

Stuntbum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could try to find a transformer to plug into the wall and plug the dsi into, thats what i'm currently doing until my usb cord arrives. I ordered one off of amazon last week but its being shipped to an apo so it'll be a while. If you're military you can probably find a transformer on base somewhere.

scopenoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kleptodathief said:
^dam i hope my dsi XL is fine , i think it still works but as soon as i turn it on it, the light is red and it shuts off after couple seconds

i was reading this info here

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_...pic_id=26163765

it dpends on the house here in vietnam, some have the same american wall outlets and the other native 2 holes only , some houses have BOTH types

so if i can get a working 110v wall receptacle, it will work?

the house im staying at now has only 220v regular american wall, but the 110v wall is OUT Of order(not working)
frown.gif

i try to find a usb cable that works with my laptop --> XL but i dont think they have video games stuff here in vietnam
Are you near the Ho Chi Minh area? Most of the "higher end" electronics stores there should have a DS charger. I know there's a shopping mall there that carries it, don't know the name but I do know there's Bose store along with a Highlands Coffee there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)