thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When it comes to Canada's governor general, they're recommended by the PM and the Queen chooses one, but for a while now it's merely been a formality; the PM now puts someone forward and they are automatically selected by the queen.

But yeah, she shouldn't be there, even for show.

As for the Harper government, I've never seen a Conservative government spend so much money. The 'economic action plan' was basically repaving every highway in Canada and putting up signs saying that they're doing so. So basically the Conservative government bolstered the road paving and sign making industries of Canada.

And the recession we had, it was apparently quite mild as far as they go. Why? Because Harper intervened so swiftly and deftly in a minority government? Not really. Our banks were in a good standing and none of them failed or required a bailout. Also the housing market didn't collapse in Canada like it did in the States.

Basically we did fine due to years of government planning and (in some cases) sheer luck.

I'm not going to say that Harper did nothing, but he while cuts funding like a conservative he then goes on to spend money like a liberal. He's not the conservative that everyone makes him out to be.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:
I don't know where you've been, but EVERY party sends out ad's that bashes the other. Hell, here in B.C a few years ago, the liberals' ads were nothing BUT bashing the other parties. They didn't make one to say why we should vote for them, but why we shouldn't vote for their opponent.

Liberals here in B.C suck. B.C was a great place until a few years back, now it's gone to shit where only the insanely rich people can afford to live here.
Up until about a month ago, the Liberals have been silent in their TV promotions, meanwhile the Conservative attack ads have been growing in number since January, methinks they knew with the budget coming that an election was possible. But I think Ignatieff and his promotional team knew it was time to start striking because there have been a number of Conservative blunders lately in the government with things they have been doing that were rather negative ethics wise. The opposition parties had no faith in the budget because it was lacking in areas that the other parties wanted and the government was held in contempt by the House of Commons, hence why the government was taken down.

D

Deleted_171835

BortzANATOR said:
Canada is part of North America silly.
-
I was expecting this.

I've seen on the news a week back that the parties (apart from the Conservatives of course) were going to put in a non-confidence vote. I guess we're going to have to go back to the polls in April-May.

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
SoulSnatcher said:
I've seen on the news a week back that the parties (apart from the Conservatives of course) were going to put in a non-confidence vote. I guess we're going to have to go back to the polls in April-May.

They've set the date on May 5.

I'm just waiting for the Conservatives to score a majority in this one.

Here in BC we're risking up to 4 elections with the municipal, provincial, federal, and the HST referendum.

Yeupp our lives are full of voting.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Porygon-X said:
SoulSnatcher said:

They've set the date on May 5.

I'm just waiting for the Conservatives to score a majority in this one.

Here in BC we're risking up to 4 elections with the municipal, provincial, federal, and the HST referendum.

Yeupp our lives are full of voting.
I heard it was May 2nd... o.O And yes, the Conservatives will likely still come out on top. As for British Columbia... I can live with the elections; any chance to topple the B.C. Liberals shouldn't be taken lightly.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pyrmon24 said:
cwstjdenobs said:
Vidboy10 said:
Mr. Harper now must meet with Canada's governor general, the representative of Queen Elizabeth II, Canada's head of state, in order to ask Parliament to be dissolved.
I can't believe that inbreed and her idiot family is still relevant in England, let alone in any more of the world.

But back on topic: Through the sounds of things there's pretty much no chance of anyone but the Conservatives coming close to winning the elections. Is this a real issue bothering the Canadian peoples or just politics for politics sake?
The Queen doesn't have an ounce of power in Canada. She can't make any decisions in Canada and if we ask her to sign something, she doesn't have a choice to sign it. She's really just there for the show.
Your really wrong my friend.
She does have a tiny bit of power, even though her powers are pretty big. For one, if the PM of Canada did something absolutely balistic she can boot him/her out of parlament. Second, if Canada does something big like peacekeeping, giving aid, or even going to war, she must grant the government permission before any major act can... well... act.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joe88 said:
mercluke said:
i misread "falls" as "fails"...
I did too
unsure.gif
If a government falls, it means it failed, so it's both right!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin