Hacking Can you switch back and forth between ofw and cfw? (Switch OLED)

Deanne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I own a lot of games on the eshop, and i play online a lot. I'm thinking about installing a modchip for my switch oled and I'm wondering about if i can switch to ofw to play online and then back to cfw to do crazy stuff like switchroot and linux

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a lot of games on the eshop, and i play online a lot. I'm thinking about installing a modchip for my switch oled and I'm wondering about if i can switch to ofw to play online and then back to cfw to do crazy stuff like switchroot and linux

Use an emunand for pirated games and homebrew.

Reactions: impeeza

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as long as you don't go online on cfw since that gets you banned fast, you should be good to go.
That's not fully true, installing nps/xcis of any kind and going online on the nand where they got installed gets you banned.
Using romhacks or cheats in online games can also get you banned, as well as other ways of negatively affecting the online service for others.

But just going online in cfw is relatively safe, and atmosphere with default settings is designed to be used online by the devs.
I didn't boot ofw in years by now, while regurlarly playing games like splatoon online.
I would probably just suggest to disable prodinfo blanking on the online nand and maybe set a different theme on sys and emunand (light vs dark on one of each), to make it easy to identify them.

Sadly the easiest way of changing between emu and sysnand is not working on newer switches, so to switch between sysnand and emunand you will always need to reboot to hekate and then select whatever you want to boot to switch between them.
Reboting from Linux seems to have a way to select a target to reboot to though, so rebooting into sys or emunand should be possible from there.

Also in case you only want to use homebrew and Linux via modchip, I would probably suggest to keep the setup as simple as possible and don't setup an emunand at all, and only use syscfw. Best probably also directly from the github, and not from some package in this case, since many packages use setting different from the default, and are designed to be used for piracy,not online usage.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
if you are affraid of been banned you can go to the official thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

1693987473640.png

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you are affraid of been banned you can go to the official thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/
Just keep in mind that the main post there ignores progression of atmosphere and how people use cfw to a degree, and is based only on info reported by people, who might not fully understand the matter, and doesn't get verified most of the time.
It also simplifies it down to everything cfw related can lead to bans, while in practice not everything cfw related leads to bans.
This is for example because atmosphere blocks telemetry that can result in problems while using cfw for homebrew and mods only and many people use homebrew only CFW online on a daily basis, including the atmosphere main devs and myself.
Following is what's still the stands of the atmopshere devs in the reswitch discord:
1693998111939.png

dusk_atl

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sadly the easiest way of changing between emu and sysnand is not working on newer switches, so to switch between sysnand and emunand you will always need to reboot to hekate and then select whatever you want to boot to switch between them.
What's the way you're talking about? I have a launch model switch and I'd love an easier way to switch between my unhacked online sysnand and my dirty emunand than booting to hekate.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's the way you're talking about? I have a launch model switch and I'd love an easier way to switch between my unhacked online sysnand and my dirty emunand than booting to hekate.
there is my fastCFWswitch overlay with manuall config, and another tool I need to check the name again, that directly uses hekates configs.
so you can either use it to directy reboot to the sysnand config in hekate, or switch between both, if you also use syscfw , which is mostly safe as long as you follow the rules mentioned by the reswitched discord, and maybe use different themes in emuannd and sysnand (like light and dark theme) to not switch them up.

Edit: The other tool is studious-pancake, which is also an overlay similar to my fastCFWswitch overlay

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol