Can you record wii u gameplay with a pc ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Gus122000, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Gus122000
    OP

Gus122000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2007
    Can I somehow utilize my computer to record my wii u gameplay instead of needing to buy a capture card ? It's a desktop, could I somehow connect my wii u's hdmi to my gtx 580 graphics card and have it connect to some sort of program on my pc to be able to record it ?

2. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    No.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Provided you have any form of Video In, sure. You probably don't though because it's just not standard equipment. What you could do is use a DVR if you have one.

4. Carnivean

Carnivean STARMAN

Jul 11, 2006
    UK
    Most likely not. Invest in a capture card if you want to record stuff on your pc.

5. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    You could invest in a cheap Dazzle and use Composite cables for it then record the gameplay from there since Dazzle I believe comes with a game mode

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Unfortunately not.

Dazzle DVC 100's are really cheap so why not pick up one of those.

7. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Dazzle?????!! FUCK don't buy that shit. Hes talking about the Wii U with HDMI(1080p) HELLOOO!

If you have HDMI-In I guess there could be some software that let you see the Wii U screen on your desktop and you could record with some soft of capture software like FRAPS.

If you wanna buy a Capture Card I suggest you buy 'ElGato' or AverMedia Live Portable.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Ofcourse HDMI is better, but also more expensive.
    And seeing that 95% of this forum is even to cheap to invest in proper flashkits, a Dazzle would be the next logical choice.

Ammako and Sicklyboy like this.
  9. EvilMakiPR

Apr 9, 2013
    Its not. This is not CheapAssGamer. The Logical Choice would be a HDMI Capture Card. And the Wii U doesnt even accept Composite.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

That's because no one cares about composite ;) In all seriousness, it will still be tricky getting good quality video from a capture card.

11. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Yes it does... I play on an old TV in my room all the time with it using the Wii cables and just plug it into the back of the WiiU

Considering the fact that he is running just a GTX 580 I doubt he has the specs to be able to render and upload video at 1080p in a reasonable time so 480p would be the best choice for him. The Elgato products don't have game mode that would allow recording and playing on the same screen unless you can deal with 5 second lag between them. Their products are made to passthrough to a TV and using the computer just to record.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/17846

12. EvilMakiPR

Apr 9, 2013

Really man?! in 2013?! EEWWWW

In 480p Everything looks so ugly. And thats how everyone do it. My Monitor has 2 HDMI Input and thats enough. I just have 1 monitor and my Wii U and PC are connected to that monitor and I can record and Play without a single problem.

Playing in 480i/480p in 2013??....EEEWWW!!

13. Zeliga

Zeliga One step closer.

Sep 28, 2013
    Kalos
    I dont think so.

14. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I still play on a 480p telly ._.

Still plays perfectly well if you ask me.

kp_centi, Terenigma and Arras like this.
  15. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

He is likely not using a monitor with 2 hdmi ports and will need to have a TV nearby to record and play. Hence why he is asking. Most games don't push out 1080p so I don't know why you are complaining about it lol even the Xbox One and PS4 aren't pushing 1080p they already stated that games will be at 720p and upscaled to 1080p. I only have that TV in my room and it looks loads better with classic games than any cutting edge TV made today.

Sicklyboy and DinohScene like this.
  16. EvilMakiPR

Apr 9, 2013
    When you change to HD you'll see the difference. I can't nevergo back to 480p and will never do.

@LA Every TV/Monitor now have more than one HDMI Input, where have you been?, He don't need an extra TV/Monitor to record and play he just need one. All he need to do is to change the Input Signal on the TV/Monitor and thats it!

17. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Not that many Monitors have more than one HDMI cable.... that is more a recent thing but since it he using a GTX 580 he might be using a TV or Monitor made almost 4 years ago... is it me or do you like to make assumptions about everything rather than taking in the details that are present. If anything he could be using a standard dell desktop that doesn't even have HDMi and only uses DVI

Going by newegg: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-LED-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20#

There is over 100 Monitors that use only 1 HDMI while only less than 50 use 2 HDMI ports.

18. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Me mates got 1080p telly's
    Everytime I go back home and boot up me N64 or NES or whatever, I realize how good the picture is.
    On the SD telly.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  19. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

There is a great article on Scanlines: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/ This is why I have an older TV in my room

DinohScene likes this.
  20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Same. Well, it might be 576p or something weird like that, I think that's what's set in the PS3 settings. It's not HD and doesn't have HDMI though.

DinohScene likes this.