Hacking Discussion Can you be banned...

SquidSquadAlpha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible for your switch to be banned before you have a online account linked? Might be a stupid question:/

Edit: And has anyone been banned before making a online account (although you wouldn't know until you made one)

Last edited by SquidSquadAlpha,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Can you explain a bit more?
Nintendo bans mostly the console, not the accounts. But idk, how it is with Switch which does not have linked account. It still sends data, but idk how they treat it. Probably the same way as any other, so it can get banned without a linked account.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

SquidSquadAlpha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your Switch has access to the internet (so long as it's connected to a network) regardless if you have an account linked to the device or not. How else would it get SYSupdates and Gameupdates?
I understand that, I don't see a reason Nintendo would ban you beforehand and I was wondering if anyone actually had it happen to them

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that, I don't see a reason Nintendo would ban you beforehand and I was wondering if anyone actually had it happen to them
They'll only ban you if you're doing bannable things, regardless of an account being linked or not. In other words, it's not the account they're targeting, it's the Switch, and if the Switch is connected to the internet, you're gonna have a bad time.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is you can't check if you're banned without linking a Nintendo Account (ironic, right?). All of the online stuff you can do without a Nintendo Account are possible even if you are banned. So...there's not much point in not linking a Nintendo Account. Might as well link a duplicate account for the unfortunate ban.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're online and sending weird error reports (or any other unexpected telemetry) then your console cert can get banned.

I sent around a hundred error reports when they first released homebrew launcher for 3.0 due to a small problem that didn't let the web exploit work properly. Next morning it was fixed and been using homebrew launcher online for months, until i got sx, linked my account and updated to latest version, unofficially at first but then xecuter decided to burn my fuses.

Played my own backups offline without issues, and I have been playing original games online without issues.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I sent around a hundred error reports when they first released homebrew launcher for 3.0 due to a small problem that didn't let the web exploit work properly. Next morning it was fixed and been using homebrew launcher online for months, until i got sx, linked my account and updated to latest version, unofficially at first but then xecuter decided to burn my fuses.

Played my own backups offline without issues, and I have been playing original games online without issues.
There's a theory, which I don't personally believe, that if they see you have several legitimate purchases then the ban hammer is post-poned.

I think it's more likely that the bans are done at random times and not immediately triggered. My personal experience does fit the first theory though.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a theory, which I don't personally believe, that if they see you have several legitimate purchases then the ban hammer is post-poned.

I think it's more likely that the bans are done at random times and not immediately triggered. My personal experience does fit the first theory though.

Maybe being behind a firewall blocks random remote checks from nintendo. I have used homebrew online for months, legit backups offline with sx is and online play on OFW. My console is always online except when it is on sx is.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe being behind a firewall blocks random remote checks from nintendo. I have used homebrew online for months, legit backups offline with sx is and online play on OFW. My console is always online except when it is on sx is.
Exactly the same with me, but other people who also did exactly the same got banned quickly. Nobody knows what's going on.

mugendc4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is you can't check if you're banned without linking a Nintendo Account (ironic, right?). All of the online stuff you can do without a Nintendo Account are possible even if you are banned. So...there's not much point in not linking a Nintendo Account. Might as well link a duplicate account for the unfortunate ban.

Is there any reason to unlink the account? I'm still on FW 4.1 and unfortunately if I want to unlink the account, I will have to update. I know I can contact Nintendo to unlink the account but my OCD of having a user I can't delete on the console would probably annoy me lol..

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you get banned for only using the homebrew on 3.0.0. Because you need to be online to use the dns anyway.

I don't wanna update to find out. But I will update eventually when atmosphere comes out.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your console cert and serial can get banned, so i think linking an account to a banned console (if that is possible) would probably ban the account too.

Overall, never use online with games that you do not own. Even if you're not doing anything online, you will be banned regardless. Only use SX Pro while in airplane mode/having your connection settings all deleted and clear your logs if you do not want to be banned. Nintendo's being crazily rigid about anti-piracy lately.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you get banned for only using the homebrew on 3.0.0. Because you need to be online to use the dns anyway.

I don't wanna update to find out. But I will update eventually when atmosphere comes out.
I do believe every action you do on your Switch generates a log of some sort - so Nintendo would definetly know if you were using something that isn't normally accessible by normal means. Just in case, never go online while using anything homebrew-y, regardless of what it is. The chances of ban are really high, and they are really looking out for any chance to ban anyone.

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your console cert and serial can get banned, so i think linking an account to a banned console (if that is possible) would probably ban the account too.

Overall, never use online with games that you do not own. Even if you're not doing anything online, you will be banned regardless. Only use SX Pro while in airplane mode/having your connection settings all deleted and clear your logs if you do not want to be banned. Nintendo's being crazily rigid about anti-piracy lately.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do believe every action you do on your Switch generates a log of some sort - so Nintendo would definetly know if you were using something that isn't normally accessible by normal means. Just in case, never go online while using anything homebrew-y, regardless of what it is. The chances of ban are really high, and they are really looking out for any chance to ban anyone.

I don't think it is possible to use homebrew without going online with 3.0.0. Everytime I want to use the exploit, i must connect to the special dns.

Vieela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think it is possible to use homebrew without going online with 3.0.0. Everytime I want to use the exploit, i must connect to the special dns.
I might be mistaken, but i do think the special DNS that is being asked is one to block updates. I do not think however you do necessarily need to have it - it's just in case Nintendo pushes out an update and you accidently update your console in case you did not pay attention or something.

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I might be mistaken, but i do think the special DNS that is being asked is one to block updates. I do not think however you do necessarily need to have it - it's just in case Nintendo pushes out an update and you accidently update your console in case you did not pay attention or something.

To run the exploit and access HBmenu, you go into settings and test connection, or try connecting. That's what triggers the exploit. I might be wrong though, as I haven't touched my switch in quite a while.

Vieela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ah, sorry, i get what you mean now.
This one can't really get you banned i would guess, seeing it really doesn't get checked up by Nintendo at all, it's just testing your connection. You can however get banned if you try to run the homebrew app while online, but the DNS thing most likely won't get you banned at all, since Nintendo doesn't really have a way of guessing that the DNS you're using could potentially activate the exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up